Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much power could a woofer amp power,

ROZ
    I'm tired, and I think I'm gonna go to bed.
    Is all of this theorizing making you tired?
    :sleeping:

Havasu Hangin'
    Point taken, but in rebuttal I would counter that if I were to measure the amplifiers output would it not be 1000 watts?
    (yes, it would)
    Then, if I were to measure the output at the first speaker in the line would it be 250 watts? and at the second it would be 250 and so on down the line?
    (No, it would not)
    Yes, it would.
    Since each speaker is receiving it's even share of 1,000 watts, then it only gets 250 watts. Each speaker cannot recieve any of the other 750 watts since it is being used on the other speakers in parallel.
    It's as if you have a 250 watt amp in front of each speaker.
    I'm tired...and I think I'm going to work.

1stepcloser
    Yes, it would.
    Since each speaker is receiving it's even share of 1,000 watts, then it only gets 250 watts. Each speaker cannot recieve any of the other 750 watts since it is being used on the other speakers in parallel.
    It's as if you have a 250 watt amp in front of each speaker.
    I'm tired...and I think I'm going to work.
    Well then, using that model, would'nt four light bulbs in parallel receive only one fourth of available energy?

Havasu Hangin'
    Well then, using that model, would'nt four light bulbs in parallel receive only one fourth of available energy?
    Because the AC power increases to meet demand. The only way to do that with amps in audio is to lower the ohm load (if the amp can handle the lower resistance).

1stepcloser
    Because the AC power increases to meet demand. The only way to do that with amps in audio is to lower the ohm load (if the amp can handle the lower resistance).
    Si. But its not relative to my thoughts.
    Adding subwoofers to a system does not change the resistive load, (it can be configured to whatever load you need) so wouldnt the available current remain the same regardless of the number of speakers in the system?

Havasu Hangin'
    Si. But its not relative to my thoughts.
    Adding subwoofers to a system does not change the resistive load, (it can be configured to whatever load you need) so wouldnt the available current remain the same regardless of the number of speakers in the system?
    No. Since the amps power output is constant (at a given resistance), then any power available is simply divided over how many circuits make up the resistor.

1stepcloser
    OK, now were getting somewhere.
    A single 1000 watt amp driving a single 12" sub would produce X Db of sound.
    Then would a single 1000 watt amp driving four 12" subs produce the same X Db of sound?

Havasu Hangin'
    Then would a single 1000 watt amp driving four 12" subs produce the same X Db of sound?
    In theory, anytime you double the power, or double the cone area, then you get a 3db increase (double the volume). That is the rule of thumb (but other variables like speaker efficiency may come into play) most guys use.
    Therefore, since you quadrupled the cone area, but cut the power by 1/4, the db output should be the same...in that scenario.

1stepcloser
    So why then, is it so common to install multiple subs when a single one would give the same performance?

ROZ
    Think of it like a charging system..... The alternator put out 100 amps at x chargine rate at 13.8volts. If one battery is hooked up it receives the 13.8volts at x rate, but if 2 batteries are paralleled into the circuit, the alternator still puts out 100amps at 13.8volts, but the energy is divided between the batteries at a slower rate...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast