Thread: Outboard Questions (new to this stuff)

Ranz1
    I have a few question on some outboard parts . I am new to outboards, im usally in the jet section. I own a '78 CVX 20. I have just acuired a '72 Glaspar Larson G3 without motor. Altough is in need a major resto i still want to understand what to buy and why. Here are the things i dont understand what there for and if i need them:
    1) Jack Plate
    2) Stabilizing Plate or hydrofoil
    3) Hydraulic tilt and trim (i know what that does but should i get it?)
    Next, All steering and controls are missing. Do you need a specific throttle control for a specific motor?? Or does any throttle work with any motor? Same question aplies to steering. Thanks Ant

Forkin' Crazy
    I have a few question on some outboard parts . I am new to outboards, im usally in the jet section. I own a '78 CVX 20. I have just acuired a '72 Glaspar Larson G3 without motor. Altough is in need a major resto i still want to understand what to buy and why. Here are the things i dont understand what there for and if i need them:
    1) Jack Plate
    2) Stabilizing Plate or hydrofoil
    3) Hydraulic tilt and trim (i know what that does but should i get it?)
    Next, All steering and controls are missing. Do you need a specific throttle control for a specific motor?? Or does any throttle work with any motor? Same question aplies to steering. Thanks Ant
    Not sure what you want to accomplish....
    1. Jackplate- makes the engine height adjustable. This is measured from the centerline of the propshaft (in level position) to the pad or running surface of the hull. They usually have set back, which actually moves the engine rearward from the transom. This affects the center of gravity (CG), moving it rearward with more set back. This is for balancing the boat when up on the pad or running surface.
    2. A foil, attached on the cavitation plate, will help the boat to plane easier with less bow rise. It also aids in coming off plane keeping the stern from dipping as much.
    3. trim is necessary for setting the boat and keeping it there. Trim down for take off, trim up can air out the hull, then trim down to lift the stern. At speed the most efficient is level. You acquire this by changing the CG.
    Usually the go pedals will accommodate most brands. Shifter will be manufacture specific unless aftermarket.
    The steering will fit all, but installation kits can differ. Isn't that G3 a tunnel?

Ranz1
    Im just trying to understand what does what on outboard boats. I don think its a tunnel.

Kim Hanson
    If you get the jack-plate.............leave off the foil, thats for slow ass boats and dangerous also............( . )( . ).............

Kim Hanson
    I only trim mine up alittle bit after take-off and if you get the jack-plate, look at low water pickups..........It's a must............( . )( . )........... Keep your nose cone 1" below pad.... :smile:

Forkin' Crazy
    If you get the jack-plate.............leave off the foil, thats for slow ass boats and dangerous also............( . )( . ).............
    LOL!!! Don't take much faith on that. This coming from a V drive guy.... :hammerhea
    If you have it set up properly, the wing, or foil, will be out of the water when the boat is on plane.

Kim Hanson
    LOL!!! Don't take much faith on that. This coming from a V drive guy.... :hammerhea
    If you have it set up properly, the wing, or foil, will be out of the water when the boat is on plane.
    Im no focking V-drive guy, OB all the way baby...........( . )( . )........