Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exact to the "T" rules on a legal Superstock Motor

Can somebody give me the skinny on these?

WaterBox
    Can somebody give me the skinny on these?
    And don't forget WEIGHT'S and BOTTOM rules too. J.H. Revenge Boats can give you all that..

Carnivalride
    Can somebody give me the skinny on these? :idea: :idea: :idea:
    Don't tell me the SS boys got you concerned about this challenge. After all your in a K-boat (blown alcohol).

Not concerned about that. They have backed way off of that deal and want to go K racing!! I am considering dropping down to SuperStock.

Jordy
    Super Stock Class
    1. Minimum hull length shall be 16 feet long, beam 72 inches wide.
    2. Power shall be supplied by a U.S. built passenger car engine, which has been
    installed in quantities of not less than 5,000 units in passenger cars available through nor-
    mal dealer channels Displacement is listed below. Standard bore size may be increased
    as noted below.
    3. The engines currently approved for use in the Super Stock class are:
    Chevrolet - 327, 350, 400, 406, 427 cu. in. displ. motors
    Ford - 352, 390, 427, 428, 351
    Chrysler - 404, 426 Wedge & Hemi, 392 Hemi, 413 Wedge
    Buick - 425
    Pontiac - 400,421
    Oldsmobile - 425
    (a) Any other motor or replacement part must be approved by the Super Stock:
    Tech Committee before it is used.
    (b) All parts used shall be stock as furnished by the motor manufacturer except
    as noted: exhaust manifolds, flywheel, oil pan, Camshaft, valve covers,
    timing chain, air scoop velocity stack, spark plugs, coils, condenser, cam
    bearing, rod bearings, main bearings, oil filter, gaskets, harmonic balancer
    and starter. All stock replacement parts that you use must conform to the
    engine manufacturer's original equipment specifications, and be listed in a
    parts manual for that engine; however, parts for different years or models
    may be mixed regardless of model year, provided they are available
    through normal dealer channels. (See details below for specifications).
    (c) There shall be no modifications allowed on Super Stock engines other than
    those detailed below.
    1) The following automobile parts may be removed: exhaust manifolds,
    water pump, thermostat, vacuum spark controls, chock shutters and
    shafts, bell housing, generators or alternator, and supporting items
    such as braces, controls and gaskets for same.
    (d) Fuel is restricted to gasoline as per Inboard rules.
    (e) Engines must be mounted rear of amidships and drive forward through a
    V-drive.
    (f) The driveline or shaft must be covered with either 1/8" of steel or 1/4" of
    aluminum.
    4. Driving cockpit must seat one person (minimum) and the seat(s) must be for-
    ward of the engine.
    5. Adjustable cavitation plates are allowed, with stops to limit the up and down
    movement. These plates shall be at the rear of the boat.
    6. Balancing of rotating and reciprocating parts is permitted.
    7. Any exhaust pipes or headers may be used, provided that there is no change in
    the place or method of attaching of the cylinder head.
    8. The oil pan and oil pump maybe modified in any way provided it remains a wet
    sump system with the pump in the pan. Oil coolers are permitted.
    9. Timing Chain and Gear: Any chain or timing gear, no gear drive other than stock
    OEM.
    10. Distributor: Any battery powered ignition system may be used. Transistorized or
    capacitor discharge may be used if factory (OEM) supplied by manufacturer. G.M. off
    road ignition PN 10037378/14044871 is not legal nor approved.
    11. Gaskets: Any gaskets.
    12. Camshafts: Any non-roller type camshaft. Any follower except roller type may be
    used, but cam face diameter must be of stock dimension. No mushroom lifters allowed.
    13. Rocker Arms: Any stock rocker, or roller rockers are permitted, however you
    cannot weld splash brackets directly to the rocker arms, but you may add them to the
    inside of the valve cover. Plugs may be used to restrict the flow of oil to the rocker arms.
    14. Adjusting Nut: Any adjusting lock or posilock. Stud Girdles not permitted.
    15. Oil Pump: Any stock oil pump, these can be modified, but must remain in the pan.
    16. Pistons: Must be stock pistons, GM #3959105 or #3888342, TRW #L2308AF or
    #L2239NF, Speed Pro #7041PA or 701 IP. They cannot be reversed. Flycutting permitted
    only for valve relief and decking only. Machined surfaces may be deburred.
    -OR-
    Pistons: JE #158830 (.030) or JR #162840 (.060) with the APBA logo embossed on piston
    may be used. They cannot be reversed. No modifications may be made to the piston except for bal-
    ancing and one piston must remain untouched. Only the JE supplied wrist pin #990-2930-15-515 may be used. No modifications to the wrist pin are allowed.
    17. Heads: Any stock head that meets specs and bolts on without modification to the
    head or block. No modification to the valve seats are allowed. Head studs are permitted.
    The heads may be machined for PC seals and valve springs. No internal porting or pol-
    ishing permitted. Off-Road head PN-14044861,862 casting no. 14044861 and PN-
    10051128,129 casting no. 10051128,129 are not legal or approved. When repairing dam-
    aged cylinder heads, no more than two chambers per head may be repaired and must meet
    original stock specifications. The repair cannot continue any further than 1/2 inch into the
    port above the seat.
    18. Windage Tray: Any windage tray may be used, or a wiper.
    19. Crankshaft: Any stock crankshaft produced for that block. It may be cross drilled
    and have the journals chromed or tuff rided. Lunati part #BI421IN with 3.760 stroke is allowed.
    20. Carburetor: Any American made carburetor having no more than 4 Venturis. The
    carburetor throttle plate or restrictor disk shall have holes no larger than 1-11/16" in diam-
    eter. A wedge or adapter shall be permitted, but not both. Maximum thickness at the thin
    edge shall not exceed 1-1/2". Adapter shall be permitted for the purpose of matching
    manifolds and of different bolt patterns, however any such adapter or wedge may not be
    considered the restrictor.
    21. Manifolds: Any intake manifold produced by the maker of your engine. No
    internal porting or polishing is permitted. These manifolds may be repaired or updated to
    match cutaway carburetor opening or later model manifolds. The maximum size of the
    opening on the manifold across is 2" approximate. The depth of the carburetor opening
    on the manifold is approximately 2-1/8". Both of these measurements may vary by 1/4".
    For exact drawing of the proper manifold, write the chairman of the Tech Committee.
    22. Valves: Must be any stock, TRW or Speed Pro or Manley Severe Duty valve that fits
    the stock dimensions. (See dimensions below.) Any valve spring, valve spring retainer, push
    rod, and valve spring spacer washer may be used regardless of the manufacturer.
    23. Blocks: 2 bolt main blocks may be drilled to accommodate 4 bolt mains.
    4 bolt main caps are allowed only using stock manufacturers' caps.
    24. Rods: Any stock OEM or steel after market rod may be used. It maybe ground,
    polished, bushed and shot peened. You may add oil holes in the small end of the con-
    necting rod. GM rod length = 6.135 +/- .010.
    Chevy 427 Ford 427 Chrysler
    25. Bore 4.318 max. 4.298 max. 4.318 max.
    26. Stroke 3.766 max. 3.780 max. 3.750 max.
    27. Deck Height (average above deck maximum):
    0 to .005 .012 max. High top
    .900 max.
    Standard
    .767 max.
    28. Combustion Chamber Volume (use alcohol as measuring fluid):
    (a) Chevrolet closed chamber minimum volume —107.09
    Open chamber minimum volume —116.80
    (b) Ford low riser — 78.8 min.
    medium riser — 80.0
    high riser — 73.2 min.
    tunnel port — 80.0 min.
    (c) Chrysler combustion chamber minimum volume —167.7
    29. Valves: basic 3-angle valve job permitted.
    (a) Chevrolet - closed chamber heads (early model): Intake valve -2.310 max-
    imum: Exhaust valve - 1.850 maximum. Open chamber and late model
    closed chamber - Intake valve - 2.200 max.; exhaust valve - 1.890 maxi-
    mum.
    (b) Ford - closed chamber tunnel port heads - intake valve - 2.255 maximum;
    exhaust valves - 1.738 maximum. Other Ford heads - 2.200 maximum;
    exhaust valves - 1.738 maximum.
    (c) Chrysler - intake valve - 2.255; exhaust valve - 1.942 maximum.
    30. In the interest of safety, it is mandatory that a prop shaft release (i.e., Whirlaway)
    is utilized when entering circle racing and kilo competition.
    Here are the rest of them, down to hull configuration and anything else you might want to, or not want to know:
    http://www.superstockracing.com/apba...htm#2.%20Power

LeE ss13
    Don't forget Dart Cylinder Head #1910070 is now legal. We recently voted on new valve train componets. I'm not sure how that shook out. No more severely decked blocks with the JE pistons. Stud girdles are OK. If you run a reinforced cockpit, then you can use a Dart single plane intake. There are a few more I think.

78Eliminator
    Tony, you asking for a piece of the T???????
    http://members.lycos.co.uk/nobbins99/hpbimg/ba4.jpg

lucky
    wow - alot to play with lol
    i especially like the part about balancing - and one must remain untouched ? did i read that right ?

Itsahobby
    I have a question, who checks the motors? and,when?
    Just curious on how the rule is enforced.
    Hobby

Sleek-Jet
    wow - alot to play with lol
    i especially like the part about balancing - and one must remain untouched ? did i read that right ?
    Where was that at?? All I could find was:
    6. Balancing of rotating and reciprocating parts is permitted.
    ???

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast