Thread: 1990 CANYON

DOHARA
    JUST WONDERING IF ANYBODY KNOWS MUCH ABOUT
    CANYON BOATS? I BOUGHT IT FROM A FRIENDS DAD
    FOR 7400.00 BUCKS. I JUST HAD 454 REBUILT AND
    SHOULD BE GETTING IT BACK TODAY AND HAVE IT READY BY FRIDAY FOR SECOND TRIP OUT. THE GUY I BOUGHT IT FROM PUT A 502 CRATE MOTOR IN AND SAID IT DID ABOUT 70MPH W/B IMPELLOR. UPON INSPECTION I FOUND I HAS A PRE-LOAD IMPELLOR AND A AFTER MARKET PICK UP. JUST WONDERING IF I SHOULD LEAVE IT AS IT IS OR CHANGE IT BACK TO AN A IMPELLOR? SPECS ARE AS FOLLOWS: 90 CANYON 20 FOOT, OPEN BOW,454 WITH 10:1 COMP, COMP MARINE CAM, MERLIN HEADS, ELERBROCK INTAKE,EDDIE MARINE THRU TRANSOM HEADERS W/RISERS, 800 HOLLEY, AMERICAN TURBINE PUMP W/B IMP. AND PRE LOAD IMP. AND A JET-O-VATER. ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE GREAT. I'VE LEARNED ALOT FROM THE FORUMS AND LOVE TO HERE ALL THE S--T TALK, IT KEEPS IT INERESTING. DANO

flat broke
    First things first, way to go on scoring a new ride. As far as Canyon boats, I'm not familiar with the hull, but don't sweat it unless you hear something bad from a reputable source, or experience it first hand.
    Regarding your pump setup question, I would say run it as is first to get a baseline. Before anyone could really speculate much on the B impleller they would need current HP/speed figures. The great thing about the DPS (cavitation reducer) is that A. you got it for free (not counting purchase price of the boat) B. It should mask the low end lag of the B cut impeller. Run the boat a couple of times and take notes as to speed (GPS indicated if possible) to RPM etc. Congrats and good luck

DOHARA
    THANKS FLAT BROKE... I HEARD THAT CANYON AND ULTRA HAVE THE SAME HULL, CANYON SOLD TO ULTRA , BUT WHO THE HECK KNOWS. MY FRIEND HAS AN 87 COMMANDER AND ITS ALMOST THE EXACT SAME DESIGN. BASICALLY I,M TRYING TO SEE ABOUT MPH WITH PUMP SET UP. I GUESS I WILL FIND OUT ON SATURDAY. DANO

Slick
    Dohara,
    Is that an open bow tunnel? There used to be a company in North Phoenix called Canyon Marine. They built a pretty neet open bow tunnel as well as a 28 foot. I heard they moved to San Diego a while back. I don't know if they're still in business. I test drove both models a while back. The 28 had a 650 hp chevy and did about 80 or so. The 20 footer had a 350 mag with bravo set up and ran about 60. It handled real well. That's about all I know about them. Hot boat did do a wright up on the open bow tunnel a while back. Check the archives for it.
    Later,
    Slick

flat broke
    I can tell you that NOBODY makes boats for Ultra. Ultra does have a spin off line named lighting, but they are made in the same facility as the custom Ultras and the hull layup is identical. Maybe Ultra28, or Oldrigger can lend some insight into the manufacturing origins of your Canyon. As far as it looking spot on for a Commander, my dad and bro have a Carribean, looks just like a Commander, which looks just like a lot of other open bow 20'ers out there. One thing you could do is look up the hull ID against the USCG registry to see the location of the builder and get their phone number.
    Good luck,
    Chris

froggystyle
    I think the guy who owns "Ultimate" and "Warlock" had something to do with Canyon a couple of years back.

Aduner2
    Carter Reed started Canyon Boats in the late 80's thru early 90's. He folded production and merged with Ultra Boats for a short while. He left Ultra and started Ultimate Boats. He is now partners in Ultimate/Warlock building larger offshore style boats.
    Canyon Boats was a good boat, not many of them built. They were made in Montclair CA.

bkplesh
    got any piture of the boat?