Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever change tension springs....

ROZ
    for a large rollup garage door?
    Any preferred technique? I can order the springs online for less than 150.00 or I can pay someone 550.00 to put them in. Shit and new door is about 1k...
    help?

OutCole'd
    Step 1: Drink two beers, put on helmet.
    Step 2:

R.A.D.man
    It can be harmful to your health. My dad was recently in your poisition and when it came time to tension, he decided to call a professional. He is a contractor so finding someone was easy for him. I suggest you try and find someone to just do the tensioning. If you can, be honest with them and tell them you will do the install, just need help with the tensionong and tweaking. That way you still save and don't get hurt.

switchin'addiction
    Don't do it!

Unforgiven
    save yourself the hassle, spend the 500 bucks and spend your time doing something more creative...like posting

al cole'holic
    2 people, couple of hours of fun, a stick of chalk...couple of twists and turns you'll be on your way

spectratoad
    I did my spring and it wasn't too bad. But yes I did wear a helmet, gloves and safety glasses. :squiggle: I have adjusted mine and the piece of pipe I was using did end up on the other side of the garage very quickly.
    It isn't hard you just have to be careful as everyone said.

BADBLOWN572
    When you are tensioning the shaft, make sure that you take two pair of vice grips and grab the tubing. One on top and one on the bottom. Lock it down so if it spins it will hit the wall. Also another trick is to take a can of spray paint and do a stripe down the long portion of the spring. This is how you can tell how many turns you have put on the spring. if it is a pair of springs, do it evenly.
    It is not that bad to add tension to the door. just make sure that you get a good set of tension bars that fit snugly into the spring. Don't want them poping out and sending them somewhere they don't belong.

Tom Brown
    I've changed them too. It's not a huge deal but requires caution.
    If it's a two spring unit, make sure you count the turns of tension on each side so they are the same. Also, when you're releasing the tension on the old springs, you have to walk them all the way out... just backing off the set screws and letting it go is suicide.
    Good luck.

ROZ
    I've changed them too. It's not a huge deal but requires caution.
    If it's a two spring unit, make sure you count the turns of tension on each side so they are the same. Also, when you're releasing the tension on the old springs, you have to walk them all the way out... just backing off the set screws and letting it go is suicide.
    Good luck.
    Yep, It's a 2 spring unit. One spring was replaced just before we bought the house. I'll just replace one.
    Do I need to release the tension from the side the spring is still active?
    It seems that properly fitted tensioning tools(pipe) is most important if I choose to do it myself.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast