Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FOR SALE Jones Starfire Flatbottom

CircleJerk
    Is there any reason why the hulls were set up w/ fixed cav plates vs' moveable ones?
    In theory, I am told, they didnt need one! On wide sweeping corners that a racer finds up here, they merely backed off on the hydraulic throttle on entry and much like a skipping flat rock, bounced lightly around it. Mr Jones had a different idea and I believe he once said that a moveable plate was a bandaid for a bad handling hull design....This came from a forner Jones racer who finished right behind the Master at the Heildeberg Nationals in 1975 with a left hand prop 427 Ford in the 16 footer! Now, how good do you think you are? One problem came at over 100 mph but I wont go into that, maybe Kipper will!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    The Jones starfire is an amazing boat!

mcfrance
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...aker_rear_.JPG
    Doug Jancura's Jones now known as Satisfaction SS/PS 427. Picture taken at Hot Rod & Custom show at Seattle Center, early '80s.

boat 569
    My dad raced SK's & SS's from the mid 60's to about 1974 here in the south. In 1985 or 86 we went to St Petersburg to watch a race. And there were two boats there from Washington that were much faster than any other Flatbottom there. I believe that they won every heat. I am pretty sure that it was this hull that you guys are talking about. I remember it being a Jones boat. Having grown up wandering the circle boat pits, I enjoy watching the circle boats a Phoenix. You guys put on a good show.

boat 569
    If I remember right. One boat was yellow, and the other was white. I think I have pics somewhere.

stickmann
    Following Steve Jone's death in 1981, a group of active racers from several camps combined forces in 1983 to become "Team 400." Sunset Chevrolet, owned by Jerry Yoder and Ray Sparling, of Sumner, Washington, joined the team as an official sponsor. Dave and Pam Villwock and their SuperStock, "Good Vibrations SS400," ran alongside Paul Casura's "Excitable Boy" SK400. The Stich brothers--Kevin, Shawn and Darrin--were on board from the "Direct Connection" PC600 to round out the crew, tending to the two Sunset boats. The yellow SS400 and the orange SK400 were a potent two-boat combination that raced quite extensively and effectively throughout the United States. In a 15 year timespan, these boats won the following APBA honors:
    Four (4) World's records
    Four (4) National championships
    Eight (8) Western Divisional championships
    Three (3) Eastern Divisional championships
    Two (2) "Hall of Champions" drivers honors

h2oregon
    C.J. is that green one for sale? how about coming to portland for the new years day ski race ?

Riverkid
    Pretty sure Jim Wilkes has one out back at his shop... It's clean.

CircleJerk
    C.J. is that green one for sale? how about coming to portland for the new years day ski race ?
    Green ONe? You got the green one, my brother....No disrespect to the Champ, give my Love to the Mrsss. What, now you need a skier?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast