Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware all DNE customers

blown428fe
    I also agree 100% with SANGER D since I have been burned in the past. Ended up buying another boat while waiting a year and half for a big shot engine builder that is now and X friend of mine. I put my wife through hell and wasnt the same around are three sons because we didnt have the motor back and looking at second season out of water.Do it your self and do alot of reading.

Coleitis22
    I think most of the board knows of DNE motors and the quality of motors he builds, I must warn eveyone of how DNE does business regarding his quoting and final billing.
    I sat down with DNE and had Dave give me a quote regarding a re-build which I thought was a far price. It took 9 months to received my motor (5 months late) and I had payed what we had agreed upon. DNE build exacly what we had talked about 9 months earlyer, no change in the plan.
    Well 2 month later after i had received my motor I received a copy of my final invoice and it was more than double what DNE had quoted me and all DNE could say was look it over. Over the 9 month build I was at DNE's shop many many times and never did DNE say anything about the motor cost doubling.
    THIS IS NOT HOW YOU DO BUSINESS
    Afer making a more than fair offer to settle the differance DNE is taking me to court, which will not be good for DNE, past DNE customer and myself.
    Sorry to do this but I will be contacting past DNE customers and requiring them to show up in court to give their stories of how DNE has miss lead them into building a motor for one price and then charging another price.
    DNE has done the many times in the past couple of years and it cannot continue..
    Mark
    I hooked up with a guy the other day about an engine. His name is John Nijssen at www.strokerengines.com
    760-247-0690 This guy will build anything and is very reasonable. Go to his site or give him a call.

77charger
    mark return the motor.and i'll set you up with the guy who did the motor for the flat i drive. :2purples: He takes time but the price is good and he is learning boat motors real fast.(mine was the first motor he did for a boat he mainly does 1/4 mile drag cars(has done a ton of street racer motors when real cars use to race) and is very good.
    I think the legal action against you is a low blow esp if the price was agreeda upon i can see a few hundred bucks for price increases but double!!

victorfb
    i will have to agree with sangerD when it comes to building it yourself. alot of satifaction and the learning is extremely valuable. there are many people and even more awsome books that will give you step by step instructions. asking a local machine shop for advice is allways a good way to get quality info. just dont think youll be able to go to the big time builders and think they will give out their secrets, if you want to call them that. a properly set up motor is definatly a must for your application, but its not that big of a secret on how to build them. one of the best ways to get the correct info is asking the manufacturer of the parts your installing. ask them how you should set the cam up when buying one. ect ect ect. now not everyone has the time nor the skills so in some instances it is a must to find a reputable builder. at that point get EVERYTHING in writing. a signed contract is your only proof when it comes to the law. once you show a signed contract to the builder that wants to get more money from you they will useually back off since they know they will lose in court. its a shame you had a rough goround with DNE, ive heard nothing but good about them. and ive never dealt with them either so i cannot comment on thier buisness. i just hope it all works out for you both and maybe both learn something from the experience. good luck.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    God, I hate to say I agree with Sanger D but learn how to do it yourself and even if you don't build your own motors after the first one, you'll be more informed about who is doing it!!!! Budlight :idea:

wrightnow
    I don't think DNE is one of the "cheaper guys". DNE has a pretty darn good reputation as a shop to go to for building a real good engine. Since I've never had any dealings with them, I'm not about to comment on their business practices.
    Cas,
    I never said DNE doesn't do good work, in fact I think he is one of the best. I have had other work done by DNE before the engine rebuild and was very happy.
    When I came to DNE with my motor we sat down and discussed my option,
    1. fix the current motor (needed head work)
    2. do a complete rebuild (motor was 5 year old)
    We talk about what the cost would be for a rebuild (I was on a buget) and came to a figure that I could live with and I gave DNE the go ahead. If DNE had been up front about the cost or even close to the actual cost I would have just repaired the motor. DNE is in the business of building motors he should have an idea of what it cost.
    DNE built what we discussed from the begining, there were not any changes in the direction, motor size, cam, crank, pistions...nothing..... How can DNE be so far off and not give the customer any idea until two months after the motors delivered. and say here you go now pay double.
    Just for the record DNE's qoute was off by over $8000
    I tried to pay more what I thought was far and instead DNE wants it all...
    Mark

wrightnow
    Sorry to hear about your problems Mark.
    My quote was close to the final invoice, the difference because the original quote was for a 496 and I decided halfway thru to switch to a 540. Presto! $1800 more. I also went with some optional stuff like TBC coating not included in original quote. When I got the final invoice, I went thru comparing big ticket items against prices on the net...all checked out. Labor costs are a gray area, and Dave's not cheap, but the total hours seemed reasonable to me...and final labor cost compared well with oringinal quote once added work accounted for.
    Sorry your experience was different. And the lawyer thing seems a bit overkill. But if you force? me to testify, I may just be a hostle witness.
    jer
    Hey Jer,
    I hear what your saying and thats why I DID NOT CHANGE DIRECTION thought out the entire engine rebuild. DNE built what we agreed on from the start and still more than doubled what he quoted..
    Mark

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
    Mark, you got the motor. Now let the court handle it. My moneys on they won't show up in court. If they do, you get to speak your piece. Sorry to have it happen to you. Budlight

wrightnow
    I also agree 100% with SANGER D since I have been burned in the past. Ended up buying another boat while waiting a year and half for a big shot engine builder that is now and X friend of mine. I put my wife through hell and wasnt the same around are three sons because we didnt have the motor back and looking at second season out of water.Do it your self and do alot of reading.
    DNE told me that I would have my motor back before December and I final took delievery of the motor in May.
    My wife is done also, she says sell the boat, she's tired of all the $hit and wants to part of this anymore.....

wrightnow
    Mark, you got the motor. Now let the court handle it. My moneys on they won't show up in court. If they do, you get to speak your piece. Sorry to have it happen to you. Budlight
    Thanks Budlight,
    I'm very lucky that I have the motor already and we can see how this goes while I still can try to enjoy boating.... I have spoke to DNE's lawyer several times already there going to show....I just plan on showing a history of how DNE miss quotes his work and then wants the customer to pay for the mistake...
    Good luck with your new ride....I'm sure Scotten wont let you down....
    Mark

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast