Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about batteries?

MudPumper
    I've got a solar panel on the roof that trickle charges at all time if the sun is shining. That along with the Generator, no problems. The panel is a few bucks but then I never have dead batteries so I think it pays for itself.

Give Me Some Slack
    Hey Mike, how much, what kind, and where did you get one.

Give Me Some Slack
    Hey, how much do the trojan batteries cost?

flat broke
    6v or 12v? I think I paid around 60-70 for the group 27 in my boat right now. And that poor thing pulls most of the stereo and starting duty while the tired Interstate is relegated pretty much to bilgepump power when we're not hanging around the boat.
    Chris

Give Me Some Slack
    I don't know which one is the best for my trailer. :idea:

flat broke
    depends. As posted, you can run 2 6v batts in series and get good run time out of them. This is pretty common and there is only one downside. If one of the batteries goes dead, the other battery is worthless on a 12v system.
    The alternative is to run 2 12v batts in parrallel. You won't get the run time you would from the dual 6v trojan setup, but you have some breathing room if one battery were to fail. It pretty much comes down to preference.
    Those AGM batts that were posted are nice, but probably cost a small fortune. I'd say, replace your 12vs with 12vs if yours are toast, then make sure you disconnect them when you put the trailer in storage, or get a solar battery tender like Mudpumper's. If the trailer is going to sit for a while, pull the batts, take em home and trickle them in the garage to keep em healthy. To price the trojans, try Stohl Engine right behind the west marine in Alamitos bay. And if you need to borrow a charger, just say the word.
    Chris

Give Me Some Slack
    Thanks, I will check out the batteries. I do take the batteries off the trailer when they are not in use. I have three battery chargers now. One battery charger is never enough. Dan and I bought a solar tender last year. It didn't charge the batteries, or I don't think it did anything at all. I will have to look in to getting a real solar charger. I guest Mark had a solar charger install on his trailer when he last had it in the shop to fix the rear door. Have not asked him how it works. :notam:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12