Thread: BBC help

mile2885
    Hi guys, sorry if this is a repeat post but I need some advice. I have a 454 BBC in my jet boat. I bought this boat about 2 years ago. I really don't have a clue what has been done to the engine or how many hours are one it. That make me kind of nervous. The engine runs great. I change the oil religiously. The engine has a mallory unilite distributor, holly carb (I think it's a 750) edelbrock manifold, Bassett headers. Other than that, not sure what has been done do it. I can tell it has been messed with in the past from the silicone on the intake, timing chain cover and pan. I ran the numbers on the block and heads and it is an 86 2 or 4 bolt main. Other than that it didnÂ’t tell me much.
    My plan was to pull the engine this weekend and pull/replace the pan with a 9qt pan. What kinds of things should I look for that might indicate I need a rebuild? Should I pull the heads? Any info would help. I just want a semi-fast reliable boat for the summer and want to make sure things are ok. It would also be nice to know what the details on the engine are when I sell it. Thanks

flat broke
    Ever heard the phrase, "ain't broke, don't fix it?" Definitely applies here. Sounds like you have your average BBC. If it is running fine and isn't giving you any problems, don't touch it. Keep up on your established maintenence schedule and just enjoy the thing. Unless you have need to swap in that 9qt pan, you might just want to leave it as is. Especialy since it sounds like you are going to be selling the boat. You never get back what you put into these things, so keep that in mind.
    good luck,
    Chris

Jordy
    Or on the flip side, if it's not broke, keep fixing it until it is.

BrendellaJet
    Id run a compression test on it first. If you are taking the oil pan off, check for 4 bolt/2bolt mains. As long as the compression test checks out, Id button it up and run it until something breaks. Try to find a one piece oil pan gasket...It will be a littl espendy, but you dont want that thing leaking.
    Hard to know anything else without tearing into it. If you suspect something is wrong, yank the heads and replace the head gaskets for piece of mind, while you're at it you can yank the balancer and timing cover to see if you can pull a part # off the cam. Do you know what RPM the motor will turn at WOT?

mile2885
    I have had it up to 5,500. Seems to be fine. I'm kind of scared to take it much higher than that. I would like to replace the pan for piece of mind. I think it only holds 4-5quarts now. I was going to do a compression test on it too. Thanks for the help

Heatseeker
    Or on the flip side, if it's not broke, keep fixing it until it is.
    Where've I heard that before??? Words(not to) live by!
    I say run it! The more you mess with these things, the more they need messed with.
    Run the sh!t out of it and enjoy it! There's plenty of time for messing with it after it pops.
    My $.02

jet4fun
    dont do anything, if you arent planning on hopping it up, then just change the oil regularly and look at the oil that is drained, look for metal shavings etc...
    other than that just keep your eyes on the oil pressure and engine temp. and enjoy

malcolm
    So, maybe you are gonna run around with us this season!