Thread: BBC Help

mile2885
    Hi guys, sorry if this is a repeat post but I need some advice. I have a 454 BBC in my jet boat. I bought this boat about 2 years ago. I really don't have a clue what has been done to the engine or how many hours are one it. That make me kind of nervous. The engine runs great. I change the oil religiously. The engine has a mallory unilite distributor, holly carb (I think it's a 750) edelbrock manifold, Bassett headers. Other than that, not sure what has been done do it. I can tell it has been messed with in the past from the silicone on the intake, timing chain cover and pan. I ran the numbers on the block and heads and it is an 86 2 or 4 bolt main. Other than that it didnÂ’t tell me much.
    My plan was to pull the engine this weekend and pull/replace the pan with a 9qt pan. What kinds of things should I look for that might indicate I need a rebuild? Should I pull the heads? Any info would help. I just want a semi-fast reliable boat for the summer and want to make sure things are ok. Thanks

blowngas
    run a quick check of compression or leakdown before you pull it out----if compression is close on all cylinders (not knowing what compression the pistons are) and it seems to run to your satisfaction, then leave the heads alone----measure the clearance of the old pan from the bottom of the boat and make sure the new pan will clear-----if its a go, flip the block and pull the main caps off and check out the bearing wear on the mains and even pull a rod cap or two before you stick the new pan on----why are you wanting to replace the pan with a larger one??-----I know it's always better to have a larger pan with more volume---has your oil pressure dropped lately, or does it drop considerbly after running for a good while?----some of the locals have installed coolers to hold the oil temp down around 120-150----solved alot of low oil pressure problems and not having to run a heavy oil on close clearanced motors----best of luck

mile2885
    Thanks for the reply. No problems with oil pressure. I was planning on pulling the engine to change motor mounts and have my moutning system powder coated. I figured while I have it out I might as well put in a decent pan for comfort. I don't know how much oil the stock pan holds. I usually put in 5. I'm not sure that the dipsitick on the pan is the correct one.......mainly a comfort thing I guess. I was looking at dooley's ski/jet 10qt. pan. They are on sale for 299. The pan will clear everything. Thanks again for the help

Fiat48
    I'd say blowngas covered it.

Sleek26
    I'm hearing those immortal words " If it ain't broke don't fix it".
    Lets see you said "The engine runs great" . Why don't you just put the new pan on and leave well enough alone?

Fiat48
    'Cause mom said "A stitch in time saves nine."