Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intercooler feed line size

franky
    I have a 470 BBC with an 8-71 and Blower shop Intercooler that I am dropping in my 19' Daytoina Jet. It makes 844 HP. I was planning on plumbing the intercoioler with -10 line/fittings with a pickup in the ride plate. Is this big enough or do I need to step up to -12.
    Thanks for your help

revndave
    I have the same set up on my 21 Tom Papp Stealth.Works great

Drill and tap the side of the bowl, youll get a better supply of water, and you wont have to suffer from the drag the pick-up creates.The water in that area (under ride plate) is VERY turbulent, you wont have near the supply of water as you will off the side of the bowl.
    Might want to look into some regulators (get em from grainger) also Franky, youll be making alot of bowl pressure now, and that should be regulated, your engine wont like that much block press, Im not sure about your intercooler and what kind of PSI it can take, but I see most everyone regulating that as well if your picking up off the bowl.
    Good Luck.
    CS
    Heres the idea.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...G_1513-med.JPG

Craig
    On my Superchiller I run a -12 in and a -10 out, per PFM.
    Craig

franky
    Chris,
    The problem with that is I will have a constant flow of water, even at idle which I do not want (causes fuel pooling below cooler at idle). I only need/want cooling water flow while under power, hence the pickup.
    I do have a pressure regulator (house style) on the engine cooling water line from the pump and a pressure relief valve on the intercooler.
    Revindave,
    Same size line, etc.? Where did you put the pickup? Do you have the small brass pressure relief valve?

P-Money
    I run a -16 pick up with 2 -10 dumps.

franky
    I run a -16 pick up with 2 -10 dumps.
    Thats because......you are.......the Dreat Humungus!

superdave013
    Chris,
    The problem with that is I will have a constant flow of water, even at idle which I do not want (causes fuel pooling below cooler at idle). I only need/want cooling water flow while under power, hence the pickup.
    I do have a pressure regulator (house style) on the engine cooling water line from the pump and a pressure relief valve on the intercooler.
    Revindave,
    Same size line, etc.? Where did you put the pickup? Do you have the small brass pressure relief valve?
    Has anyone ever had a fuel pooling problem like that before? I know PFM said the same thing to me when I got my cooler. I ran a pick up just like you are wanting to. My cooler would heat sink big time when I sat on the holding rope. I ended up hooking it up to a small 12V pump to move some water through it at idle. The boat seemed to leave better.
    To see just how much heat those coolers soak just sitting all ya have to do is warm the engine and let it sit for awhile. Then stick you hand on the intercooler's water dump when the first bit of water goes through. It comes out freakin HOT. It seemed to cool down right away though. But that first slug of heat is going to be there when you leave the starting line of pair off with someone at the river.
    Just something to think about.

Chris,
    Revindave,
    Oh ok, sounds like the plate pick up is the set up for you.

revndave
    Chris,
    Revindave,
    Same size lines.Pick up is on right side of ride plate.No relief valves or regulators on anything.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast