Thread: Tow cover Question.

moneysucker
    I need a custom tow cover for a 21 ultra, stealth. Where is a good place near San Diego to get one? Any Pix? Prices? How bad does towing with a cover on screw up your gell and/ or aluminum? Thanks

LVjetboy
    I have a custom cover fits pretty tight. I usually tow with it on for security and protection. There is some flapping or movement near the back causing minor rub marks in the gel. Maybe back cover air vents would cure this. Also leaves a dark area where it rubs the coated headers at the top bend...polishes out. Any movement can also wear the cover over time. The ends of my headers eventually cut through the cover...even with extra material in those places.
    That said, the cover's 14 years old. All things considered, not bad. I've towed it covered coast-to-coast and countless trips to the lake...so it's a trade-off. If your gel's flawless and you want to keep it that way, then I'd say no. Hard to keep dust out of the fabric leaving some rub marks. But I like the security of nothing seen during stops along the way, and the protection from rain, bugs and road debris.
    jer

Heatseeker
    I've seen what a tow cover can do to paint job and never run one, but Jer makes good points.
    The travel security would be nice.
    When we travel, we can only eat at junk joints where I can sit at a window and see the boat. Mama would love to stop at Lenny's instead !!!

moneysucker
    I've seen what a tow cover can do to paint job and never run one, but Jer makes good points.
    The travel security would be nice.
    When we travel, we can only eat at junk joints where I can sit at a window and see the boat. Mama would love to stop at Lenny's instead !!!
    That is me too. I would never in a million yeard tow with a cover on, This is for a friend. I cover mine as soon as I get to my house at the river and have to tow down the gravel road but then I am doing 10 mph. The closest I ever came to covering mine was shrink wrapping the whole motor because it was raining over the grade. I am looking for somewhere to get one still. I am content with my walmart covers, one a year $119, Hand down last years cover down to what ever project boat I have going. Thanks, Any info will help and I did want to hear from those who did tow with them.

RandyH
    John has them available at Ultra. Custom made to fit your boat with a liner cover to help against rubbing. They even have flaps for the gas fillers. I think they pretty expensive. Takes forever to put them both on but I have had great luck with it.
    RandyH