Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Pump?

AJS772
    Hi guys, first time posting here. Question is
    does anyone here run an electric fuel pump. I am having a fuel problems and figure maybe this could be a good move. I'm running a 454 .30 over in an 18' Nordic. Any suggestions on psi or anything @ all?
    Thanks in advance,

ponponracing
    You are not very specific about what's wrong with your fuel pump. Why don't yoy give details

AJS772
    Sorry about not giving enough info. I currently have a mechanical pump and it will just stop pupming gas some times when I am idling back in. I have to blow in which ever tank is on to get gas back to the filter. I was thinking of changing it to an electric. I replaced all of my gas line but it didn't make a difference, Also when I attempt to get on plane the motor has hesitation and the fuel filter is only about half full. I picked up a carter pump rated around 90gpf
    and 6.5 psi. Just have not installed it yet, don't know if I should.
    Thanks for your help.

Jetmugg
    I've got a Carter electric pump on my 454, not sure of the flow ratings, but it will hold at 6-7 psi, even with the engine at 5200 rpm. I'm happy with it, and it's much more quiet than the Holley pumps.
    SteveM

AJS772
    Thanks for your input Jetmugg, I'll put it on and see how it works. Do you have any rubber hose after the pump (or before) or just steel line. I currently have rubber to the mech. pump then steel from there to the filter and rubber connecting the filter. Seems like a low enough psi for rubber but Maybe not?
    Thanks
    Adam S

jaqquuuz
    AJS772 I run electric and I use rubber to the pump then steel from pump to carbs with all the bounceing go around back there I would hate to see a rubber line land on somthing hot also with rubber you should replace them every other season just to be on the safe side. Happy boating.

Jetmugg
    Same here, I have rubber lines from the tanks, into a "T", and into the pump, and then I have braides SS line and fittings from the pump to the carb. All braided is probably better, but at least I figure that I have braided lines on the pressurized side of the pump.
    Steve

mister460
    Just remember to mount the pump as low as possible so that it doesn't have to constantly suck gas upwards. That's hard on pumps.

Brewer
    one other thing to check would be the pick-ups inside the tank. I have personally wasted time replacing everything else, when all along it was a cracked pick-up tube

Rod
    How about the vent to the gas tank ? And can you see in the gas fiter at idle and take the gas cap off and see if she pumps more. Rod NC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast