Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in Texas

1978 Rogers
    My wife, son & I are going to visit family in Texas in April. My wife's sister has this idea that we should move down to Texas to be close to them. I believe they live in Gilbert, near Ft. Worth/Dallas.
    So for the hell of it, I looked up homes in the area. HOLLY CRAP, you can get a lot of house down there. We have a victorian house built in 1920, 2 story, 1500 sf, 3 bedroom 1 & 1/2 bathrooms. We put in new carpet, new kitchen and the bathrooms. We bought this 6 years ago for $126,000, we still of $120,000. Homes similar to ours are selling for 180's-low 200K in downtown Puyallup where we live. Our payments are $930 a month, including tax & insurance.
    I work for a landscape company. I do all our estimating for larger commercial installation projects, manage projects and will be a licensed Landscape Architect with the State of Washington in 2 months. My wife works in a bank as a teller/loan officer. My question is, would it be worth it to move down to Texas? What do jobs pay? What is the economy like? Also I was born at Harris Hospital in Ft. Worth, so I won't be a transplant.
    I feel like I should interview with some landscape companies when I'm in the area, just to see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oldbuck40
    you must mean Gilmer,TX or Gober,TX,,,i can tell you one thing i live 30 miles south of the DFW area and they are building houses here left and right,,i know of 2 of the many houseing additions that are in the works that total 10,600 homes and more on the way,,im sure you wouldnt have a problem finding a job,,just stay out of Dallas or Ft worth like i said there is no room to grow in the dfw area so look on the outskirts where all the growth is going on.

jdf
    if it's gilmer not to much around there ,,,i live in tyler and it's growing fast there is a alot landscape company around here so come on down and check it out

oldbuck40
    hey JDF check your PM's

jdf
    right back at you

1978 Rogers
    They live in Frisco. I must have been thinking of something else. :messedup:

jdf
    frisco it's on the move big time

oldbuck40
    frisco it's on the move big time
    hey jdf i know i got to get out of here but tell him about lewisville and and all the other crowded lakes and how dangerous they are,,he needs to come south and or east of the metroplex,,,gotta go im late see you guys tomorrow!!!

1978 Rogers
    Whats the weather typically like? I see today its about the same up here. Sunday shows maybe 71 with clouds. Can you boat all year long? Are season is from April to September. Depending on rain. I remember my mom hating the humidity and heat the summer before I was born down in Texas.
    What are the lakes like? Would I get ran over.

jdf
    it get's hot down here winter can be a pain on avg 55 as for lake's depend on were you go i don't do much boating in the metroplex i live about 80 miles east of it

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast