Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does a camshaft do?

Infomaniac
    The cam should allow the proper amount of air/fuel mixture into the engine and allow as much of the exhaust gasses out as possible.
    The proper amount of air/fuel mixture derived from the combination of engine parts and the application of the engine.
    The amount of exhaust determined by the engine/vehicle combination.
    The design of the cam using factors such as air density, velocity, mechanical restrictions etc.
    By the way - How about that cam? I am getting ready to order old faithful.

ECeptor
    However, as I recall, an 18,000 rpm (or higher) F1 motor does not have a cam... They have computer controlled pneumatic actuated valves...
    S&S (058's buddy )
    Would you call that a software cam? Wouldn't it be great to change all those variables on the fly with a laptop!!!

Unchained
    I friend of mine told me that when his dad raced dirt track cars back in the 1940's and 50''s they used flat head engines, and the hot thing to do was remove the cam and take it to the bench grinder and BY HAND grind down the back side of the lobe.
    Now why has that become such a lost art?

The cam should allow the proper amount of air/fuel mixture into the engine and allow as much of the exhaust gasses out as possible.
    The proper amount of air/fuel mixture derived from the combination of engine parts and the application of the engine.
    The amount of exhaust determined by the engine/vehicle combination.
    The design of the cam using factors such as air density, velocity, mechanical restrictions etc.
    By the way - How about that cam? I am getting ready to order old faithful.
    Oh Shoot, I will get you one coming. Sorry!!!!!
    Chris
    We will start tonight.
    Chris

superdave013
    what does a camshaft do????
    makes the engine sound bitchen when idling out of the no wake zone.
    zoom zoom

Kachina26
    Ya ever hear this term? "Desmodromic Valve Gear System"
    Not until yesterday So, if you have the clearances wrong on the valves, will it stretch/break the valves?

Norseman
    a camshaft is the 'brain' of the engine.......with that being said someone please explain what a 3/4 race cam is this one has always baffled me......I mean I would be more of a 7/8 race cam kind of guy or maybe even a 54/64 race cam kind of guy.......oh hell might as well go full race cam :squiggle: guess us country phucs that build engines on garage floors only understand simple terms like lift and duration and lobe seperation. Just when I thought I got something right......damnit......
    Omega
    The "Full Race" cam was the last one on the page. And it didn't matter which manufacturers specs you looked at.

Norseman
    Just what I said. Lets get some "opinions" then we will have a discussion on cams and we should all be able to learn a few things.
    Chris
    The cam controls the opening and closeing of the intake and exhaust valves.
    By varying when these events take place and for how long they take place, in relation to piston stroke, the cam will vary the amount of HP and Torque the engine is capable of producing.

Liberator TJ1984
    I friend of mine told me that when his dad raced dirt track cars back in the 1940's and 50''s they used flat head engines, and the hot thing to do was remove the cam and take it to the bench grinder and BY HAND grind down the back side of the lobe.
    Now why has that become such a lost art?
    Quiet Dude !!!! your lettin' out HBJets Secrets

SJ Valley Dave
    Actually current F-1 engines that twist 18,000-19,000 rpms do use camshafts to open the valves, they use pneumatic air pressure to close the valve in place of valve springs. RPM's over approx 16,000 and traditional wire springs don't work to well together :idea:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast