Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What does a camshaft do?

Moneypitt
    Super dave, its not zoom zoom,......... its rump, rump.....
    I think the 3/4 and full race terms come from the old flathead days. The cylinder head actually limited how far you could open the valve, (they were in the block, not the head) so the max lift allowed was established by the opening in the "flat" head. To go the max, would have been full......(along with the porting and relieving).......and a milder lift, maybe 3/4 of the max would have been a 3/4 race.........The intake runners were also in the block, as were the exhaust. In order to allow more air/fuel in, and exhaust out, the trick was to port the flathead, and to relieve the valve chamber above/below the valve................Kinda like an RV cam. RV meaning motorhome? or sand jeep?..........MP

HP350SC
    I cannot say "recreational vehicle" cam without smiling

steelcomp
    [QUOTE=steelcomp]opening/closing, lift, duration, and "ramp speed/lobe will determain the operating characteristics of the given motor, weather it's a stock production motor, or an 18,000 rpm F1 motor.
    Thanks for the "Bumpstick 101" education Professor. :hammerhea However, as I recall, an 18,000 rpm (or higher) F1 motor does not have a cam... They have computer controlled pneumatic actuated valves...
    S&S (058's buddy )
    GOD...how stupid could I have been to post that!! And isn't it a good thing you pointed it out for everyone!!
    Don't know that I've seen that on any F1 motor that I know of, but hey, you obviously know MUCH more about this than I do. I know they switched over to pneumatic "springs" instead of wire springs, (years ago) but wasn't aware of them eliminating the cam. Maybe you could show us a current F1 motor using the computer controlled pneumatic actuated valves you're talking about.
    You guys make a good pair.

Stab-n-Steer
    GOD...how stupid could I have been to post that!! And isn't it a good thing you pointed it out for everyone!!
    Don't know that I've seen that on any F1 motor that I know of, but hey, you obviously know MUCH more about this than I do. I know they switched over to pneumatic "springs" instead of wire springs, (years ago) but wasn't aware of them eliminating the cam. Maybe you could show us a current F1 motor using the computer controlled pneumatic actuated valves you're talking about.
    You guys make a good pair.
    So I was half right! :mix: I was warned that if anyone comments or challenges any of your posts (mine was done in fun), you would go off. :cry: Now I understand...
    Maybe for your next lesson you could tell us how a cam works in a 2-cycle engine.
    S&S

steelcomp
    If you weren't so freekin obvious, I wouldn't have given you the satisfaction, but I figured, hey, you're 058's buddy...what would it hurt. :hammerhea
    Just like 058...bogus post, just trying to start something, and in doing so, PROVED that you really don't know WTF you're talking about.
    Thanks for the "Bumpstick 101" education Professor. However, as I recall, an 18,000 rpm (or higher) F1 motor does not have a cam... They have computer controlled pneumatic actuated valves...
    S&S (058's buddy )
    Meant in fun, huh.
    So you were saying what? about camshafts..or was it F1 motors?

Stab-n-Steer
    Well Professor, it looks like you have new enemy! :boxingguy Good for you... We'll give 058 a rest... :redface: I've been on this forum for a few years now, as has 058, and have made many friends. I haven't had a problem with anyone nor has Bob... Is there a common denominator here? :idea: We all poke fun at each other. Sorry that you are so sensitive. :angry2: Actually your post on cam function was excellent, that's why I called you "Professor". Me and the guys I hang out with tend to nickname everybody... My handle, Stab-n-Steer, was given to me by my friends when I drove a sprint car. Believe me it wasn't a compliment! At least "Professor" is better than "Tinkerbell" !!!
    Take care,
    S&S

wsuwrhr
    Maybe for your next lesson you could tell us how a cam works in a 2-cycle engine.
    S&S
    Yea that will work.
    Brian

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345