Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: check out my wiring diagram...

Essex29
    Please give me some feedback on the wiring for my setup...
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...77untitled.bmp
    I will also be connecting leads from my battery charger to each of the 1700's
    here is the charger I'll be using...
    http://promariner.com/productFeature...oductNum=51030
    I will be relying on the alternator to charge the 2 megatron's for starting only.
    I'm looking for advice on the type and size of wire to use.
    Let me know if I should do or add anything.
    Thanks! :rollside:

ROZ
    Use 4ga wire.. All Battery grounding is to the block... Stereo Grounding is to the battery..
    I'd wire the batteries at opposite ends for the charger. Hopefully will charge the bank a little more equally... Meaning positive from battery 1 and the negative from battery 3...
    You're going generator, I take it...

Essex29
    Use 4ga wire.. All Battery grounding is to the block... Stereo Grounding is to the battery..
    I'd wire the batteries at opposite ends for the charger. Hopefully will charge the bank a little more equally... Meaning positive from battery 1 and the negative from battery 3...
    You're going generator, I take it...
    No, I am not going with the genny...
    So if I wire the charger to the opposite ends would it end up like this..
    1...pos batt 1 to neg batt 2
    2...pos batt 2 to neg batt 3
    3...pos batt 3 to neg batt 1
    look right?

Havasu Hangin'
    The way you have that layed out, the amps being constantly hooked up will kill your stereo batteries when sitting. A separate "on-off" Perko switch for the stereo would allow you to turn the stereo batteries off when stored.
    I'd use 2 gauge...but that's just me.

ROZ
    I figured you were going to run a generator to keep the batteries charged since you aren't running the stereo batts on the alternator....
    I'm with HH, you'll want the 2ga...
    If you don't run it from the perko like HH suggested, you can put a circuit breaker inline that you can trip when the boat is in storage...
    How long and hard do you play your stereo?

BoatFloating
    I figured you were going to run a generator to keep the batteries charged since you aren't running the stereo batts on the alternator....
    I'm with HH, you'll want the 2ga...
    If you don't run it from the perko like HH suggested, you can put a circuit breaker inline that you can trip when the boat is in storage...
    How long and hard do you play your stereo?
    He should be running a genny and get rid 1 stereo battery and 1 motor battery.
    I run a 100 amp circut breaker and trip it when in storage works great and it kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Havasu Hangin'
    I run a 100 amp circut breaker and trip it when in storage works great and it kills 2 birds with 1 stone.
    A circuit breaker will wear out eventually (spring), so I stopped using them. Also, they have more resistance than a fuse...
    But what do I know? :messedup:
    :mix:

BoatFloating
    A circuit breaker will wear out eventually (spring), so I stopped using them. Also, they have more resistance than a fuse...
    But what do I know? :messedup:
    :mix:
    Exactly......
    :hammer2: The good news that if it wears out they still sell them. I've seen my share Perko switches stop working also...

Havasu Hangin'
    Exactly......
    :hammer2: The good news that if it wears out they still sell them. .
    So when the circuit breaker gives out on the lake (on a Sunday), then we'll just have you hold the button down 24/7?
    :hammerhea

phebus
    So when the circuit breaker gives out on the lake (on a Sunday), then we'll just have you hold the button down 24/7?
    :hammerhea
    That would have to happen on Saturday. By Sunday, he couldn't find it.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast