Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shifting 2.5's

DrewDown
    Is it true that you can only shift the merc 2.5's if your running a rubber hub? Any info about this would be great. Wear & tear? What parts? How much to fix etc.

mbrown2
    I think it depends who you ask. I have heard it both ways from supposed knowledgeable sources that you can or cannot shift them under power.
    Best for longevity to turn them on in gear.....they even recommend this with 300x's. Actually, once you get the hang of it, you can actually put the boat back on the trailer while leaving them in gear and bump each side (turn off/on) independently to keep it straight cause sometimes they idle fast with big props on the 2.5's and 300x's.
    However, I have asked a number people can you shift a "non-drag" 2.5 Sport model...and they say yes you can, however, for longevity you are best to start them in gear....
    Being on the river with the current, I shift them continuously while under power and have witnessed no issue with the 300x's..

DrewDown
    I thank you

CrazyHippy
    That's about it... yes you can. No you shouldn't
    BJH

jackpunx
    In most cases .. is there a nutral lock of some type.. (cant start in gear?)
    CH.. Your gonna love this..
    and I'll never here the end of it.. but here it goes..
    We now have 2 stokers in the family..
    224 IO
    20.4 2.5 OB

CrazyHippy
    Damn big ballers... making me feel small time :2purples:
    You drive the 20.4 yet? I bet it's a totally different animal than the 224 :2purples:
    BJH

jackpunx
    Damn big ballers... making me feel small time :2purples:
    You drive the 20.4 yet? I bet it's a totally different animal than the 224 :2purples:
    BJH
    yea.. its pretty light.. I actually like it a lot.. but.. the steering sux ass.. Feels like it needs some kind of assist.. when I got the jackplate up and on the gas.. it takes every bit of strength to hold that thing straight.. doesn’t feel safe..lol..
    I’m building the motor a little more.. Its a stock 280.. Runs pretty hard.. Just a pain in the ass to gas it up..lol
    It’s the little women’s boat.. She said we can make it faster.. I told her it has to go over 100 to get in the garage…lol

CrazyHippy
    yea.. its pretty light.. I actually like it a lot.. but.. the steering sux ass.. Feels like it needs some kind of assist.. when I got the jackplate up and on the gas.. it takes every bit of strength to hold that thing straight.. doesn’t feel safe..lol..
    I’m building the motor a little more.. Its a stock 280.. Runs pretty hard.. Just a pain in the ass to gas it up..lol
    It’s the little women’s boat.. She said we can make it faster.. I told her it has to go over 100 to get in the garage…lol
    Play w/ props on it, cleavers are a bear on my boat, but ET's are much easier. The yamaha drags are fun too. I have a 26" Yamaha copy you are welcome to try.
    BJH

jackpunx
    Play w/ props on it, cleavers are a bear on my boat, but ET's are much easier. The yamaha drags are fun too. I have a 26" Yamaha copy you are welcome to try.
    BJH
    We'll bring it up to BBSP and you can point me in the right direction..
    but.. back to the thread.. it dont like to shift whil running..do I need to do something to get around that.. can I shift in gear with out disabling something?

mbrown2
    We'll bring it up to BBSP and you can point me in the right direction..
    but.. back to the thread.. it dont like to shift whil running..do I need to do something to get around that.. can I shift in gear with out disabling something?
    I am not aware of anything you can disable to make it easier to shift in gear....and their is no lockout from starting it in gear....explained to me that they are cone clutches and have no problems being started in gear....just dis-engaging them while in-gear feels a little tight...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast