Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rudder Box Seal

flatnfast
    I have my stuffing box out due to the fact that it was leaking pretty bad, what seals are suppose to be in it? the only one is the rubber seal at the top, when i took the stuffing box out it is one piece, i thought there would be some sort of seal on the bottom and the rubber one at the top, any info and help?

I have my stuffing box out due to the fact that it was leaking pretty bad, what seals are suppose to be in it? the only one is the rubber seal at the top, when i took the stuffing box out it is one piece, i thought there would be some sort of seal on the bottom and the rubber one at the top, any info and help?
    Most rudder boxes have one seal at the top. Some, like the double seal Glenwood type have 2, but they're still towards the top. Many also have oring grooves further down but from my experience the orings don't do much for long. The main thing is keep them greased and replace if worn or it'll just keep wiping out the seal and wearing out the rudder shaft. Most problems can be traced back to lack of maintenence, (greasing regularly).

Moneypitt
    I found that the problem comes back after a short time due to the rudder shaft being pitted. As the lower o ring leaks water in, it gets trapped in between the upper seal and the lower o ring. On the trailer It just sits there and creates rust/pitting. I was told, and Rex would know, that there is a rudder box that uses actual seals, top and bottom. I know of a flat that really needs a new box and rudder if anyone knows of this "better" set up...........MP

I found that the problem comes back after a short time due to the rudder shaft being pitted. As the lower o ring leaks water in, it gets trapped in between the upper seal and the lower o ring. On the trailer It just sits there and creates rust/pitting. I was told, and Rex would know, that there is a rudder box that uses actual seals, top and bottom. I know of a flat that really needs a new box and rudder if anyone knows of this "better" set up...........MP
    Good point on the oring trapping water. I've always taken them out because they don't do much anyway IMO. I've not seen a production stuffing box with a bottom seal. Don't see why it wouldn't work though if the seals are both installed in same direction. Problem is your average stuffing box doesn't have enough wall thickness to machine a seal pocket at the bottom, you'd have to make something larger o.d. to accomodate a seal and snap ring and still be the proper length for a specific hull thickness.

Moneypitt
    I was also told that you had to install, mark, remove and cut to size per installation. E ticket,(Gary) was telling me about them........MP

That true, all the production ones come extra long to accommodate any hull thickness. So that in itself makes it about impossible to get a bottom seal in the right place economically anyway for a production stuffing box.

flatnfast
    so the answer to my ? is that the only seal to keep water out is the seal on the top? is there diff production ones or are they pretty much standard, bolt spacing and all. i am looking at the brass chrome 1" rudder shaft box, also is it designed to wear the box instead of the rudder since it is brass, and if i buy the box does it come with everthing allready installed in it? thanks for your help

WILDERTHANU

Schiada76
    My 21 has two seals in the stuffing box, one at top and one bottom. The bottom one does not have a snap ring but seats on a shoulder. Could someone have just stuck the extra seal in at one time and should I leave it out? I just bought two new seals to put in. It didn't leak at all before.

rrrr
    My boat had an o-ring seal type stuffing box when I bought it. I changed the o-ring but it still leaked like crazy. Couple of months ago I installed the packing type seal.
    How tight is tight? Should there be some resistance to moving the rudder? It still leaks, I think a new rudder is on the horizon.
    I guess a 38 year old rudder prolly isn't a good idea anyway.... :hammerhea
    EDIT: I looked at the Rex Marine site, a new rudder is $429.99. Ay Caramba!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast