Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Question

Havasu Cig
    According to Merc's site the 300x's require 92 octane. On my 2.5 boat they reccomended that I run AV as opposed to 91/92 pump gas. Does the same apply to the 300x's, and since 91 is the highest you can generally find at the pump is that what most are using?

TOBTEK
    I was told from the Merc reps, to run AV gas ONLY. Very cheap insurance! The gas out of the pumps are at times oxgenated (sp?) ........damn gas station owners.....

Kilrtoy
    Ok this needs further explaination

Kilrtoy
    Ok just read the manual and it says 91.....for the 300x's

TheLurker
    I was told from the Merc reps, to run AV gas ONLY. Very cheap insurance! The gas out of the pumps are at times oxgenated (sp?) ........damn gas station owners.....
    I’m not posting this to start any griping about gas prices or get personal. I just want clear up an incorrect statement;
    Station owners have no say in whether they get oxygenated fuel or not. For that matter refiners don't either.
    Oxygenates MTBE, Ethanol etc are federally mandated due to air quality regulations. The logistics of storing, blending, shipping all of these “boutique fuels” for the different metropolitan areas is very costly. This is one of the many reasons you will see the spring price spike and yes profit margins are another.

HavasuDreamin'
    Run av-gas or at least 50/50 av-gas & 91 to guard against detonation and a hole in your piston. All it takes is one bad batch of gas and you can do SERIOUS damage! Why risk it? If it were me, I would run straight av-gas or at the least a 50/50 mix of av-gas and 91 octane. I would also run Klotz KL-333 synthetic or another quality synthetic lube.
    Good Luck. :mix:

Havasu Cig
    Well then AV it is. Damn, I was hoping I could fill at home.

TOBTEK
    I’m not posting this to start any griping about gas prices or get personal. I just want clear up an incorrect statement;
    Station owners have no say in whether they get oxygenated fuel or not. For that matter refiners don't either.
    Oxygenates MTBE, Ethanol etc are federally mandated due to air quality regulations. The logistics of storing, blending, shipping all of these “boutique fuels” for the different metropolitan areas is very costly. This is one of the many reasons you will see the spring price spike and yes profit margins are another.
    I ONLY WAS POKING FUN AT HAVASU SIG/SKATER.....only because he is in that business...thats all!
    I have been the victim of a bad batch of gas at Havasu, and as a result blew #6 piston to bits in an 2003 300x, and we were just cruising at 60mph. For the little bit of hassel, the AV gas is the way to go....thats what I was told atlesat from MERC. I was paying 2.75 a gallon last season for AV, dont know the current price.

HavasuDreamin'
    This (http://www.toddusa.com/productdetails.aspx?cid=80) product has been great for me. Cheap, and pretty good quality. I fill up the boat before I go on a long trip, and fill up the caddy. Throw the caddy in the back of the truck and off I go. Works great.
    :shift:

Kilrtoy
    Now I have been told as long as you fill up at chevron Mobile or texico , you should be ok......Does this still hold true....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast