Thread: Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen

FMluvswater
    I'd never heard this before but supposedly it is a blast from the past. I think it's pretty cool.
    Wear sunscreen.
    If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.
    Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth. Oh, never mind. You will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years, you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked. You are not as fat as you imagine.
    Don't worry about the future. Or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.
    Do one thing every day that scares you.
    Sing.
    Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
    Floss.
    Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
    Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.
    Stretch.
    Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life. The most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.
    Get plenty of calcium. Be kind to your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone.
    Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't. Maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary. Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance. So are everybody else's.
    Enjoy your body. Use it every way you can. Don't be afraid of it or of what other people think of it. It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own.
    Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your living room.
    Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.
    Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.
    Get to know your parents. You never know when they'll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings. They're your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.
    Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young.
    Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft. Travel.
    Accept certain inalienable truths: Prices will rise. Politicians will philander. You, too, will get old. And when you do, you'll fantasize that when you were young, prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.
    Respect your elders.
    Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund. Maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse. But you never know when either one might run out.
    Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85.
    Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.
    But trust me on the sunscreen.
    Edit: Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) was a single released by Baz Luhrmann under the EMI Music Australia Pty. Ltd. label on the 1998 album Something For Everybody and on a 1999 single release.
    The song features a spoken-word track set over a mellow backing track. The song lyrics, which consist of a litany of humourous but practical advice, were drawn word for word (except for a date change from "'97" to "'99") from a 1997 newspaper column by Mary Schmich of the Chicago Tribune (See Wear Sunscreen). The lyrics were famously misattributed to novelist Kurt Vonnegut who purportedly delivered the advice as a commencement speech at M.I.T.
    The supposed story was that Baz Luhrmann delivered a speech to a graduating class and it was thought that they were well spoken and sage enough to be played beyond those walls. When a radio station was propositioned to play the speech they turned it down saying that they only played songs with music behind them. The idea was put forward to accompany the words with music and once it began playing became more and more popular till it was officially released.

FMluvswater
    Denis Leary did a parody of it (which I'd also never heard) ... couldn't help lmao!
    Ladies and gentlemen of the class of '99
    Drink beer
    If I could offer you only one tip for the future
    Beer would be it.
    The long term benefits of beer have been proven by scientists
    Whereas the rest of my
    advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.
    I will dispense this information now
    You are as fat as you imagine
    You really do look like your driver's license picture
    Do something about it
    No one wants to date a fat pig
    If inserting a 7 inch iced tea spoon down your throat to induce vomiting is what it takes
    Well then so be it
    Do one thing everyday that makes your mother ashamed
    Don't floss
    Wayward pieces of parsley and beef in your teeth really don't look that bad
    You've already had your turn at living in New York
    So leave
    Now
    You're wasting space
    And breathing up all of our oxygen
    Go live in Northern California
    But leave before you simultaniously die in an earthquake and a gang related shooting
    Sometimes you'll be ahead
    Sometimes you'll be behind
    Sometimes you'll be on top
    Sometimes you'll be on bottom
    Smoke cigarettes with reckless abandon
    When your speaking through a hole in your throat
    You can always sue the tabbacco company
    And claim
    I did not know it was bad for me
    After all
    Ill gotten game is what it's all about
    Maybe you'll marry
    Maybe you won't
    Most likely you'll end up divorced
    With a litter of children
    That have 8 different mothers
    And spend the rest of your life selling rip off Gucci bags outside port authority
    To pay off alimony and child support.
    Dont even try to dance
    You're a guy for God sakes
    Not even "The Electric Slide" at a wedding
    Read GQ magazine and strive to look like the guy on the cover
    Undergo elective reconstructive plastic surgery including lipo suction and penis enlargement
    Make fun of old people
    It's fun
    And understand that friends will stab you in the back for price of an extra value meal
    And that flame broiled isn't always better
    Nevermind
    But trust me on the beer.

MagicMtnDan
    Maybe. This was in the news recently:
    Do sunscreens create a false illusion of safety? A new lawsuit charges that many sunscreen manufacturers are misleading Americans into thinking that their products can protect people from sun damage.
    Decades ago, there were few effective sunscreens. If you spent too much time in the sun, you were bound to burn. That's why farmers wore hats and long sleeves, vacationers took umbrellas to the beach, and lifeguards put white zinc oxide on their noses.
    Now, the chemicals in most sunscreens prevent sunburn so well you could spend all day outside with no clothes on and still not get pink. Because of this protection, people spend more time in the sun biking, swimming, gardening or golfing.
    Just because you don't burn, however, does not mean your skin is safe. The lawsuit against the makers of Banana Boat, BullFrog, Coppertone, Hawaiian Tropic and Neutrogena brand sunscreens claims that longer ultraviolet-A rays can still damage skin. UV-A is associated with skin cancer, wrinkling and aging. The lawyers point out that despite increasing use of sunscreen during the past few decades, skin cancer has been rising at an alarming rate.
    Consumers are understandably confused. On the one hand, they are told to slather on the sunscreen to protect their skin from sun damage. Now they are being told that many sunscreens won't protect them very well.
    To make matters even more baffling, scientists have announced new health benefits from vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin. Two studies have found that women who have the highest levels of vitamin D have the lowest risk of breast cancer. Sun exposure during adolescence seemed to protect women later in life, reducing their risk of breast cancer by 25 percent to 45 percent.
    These new studies confirm previous research suggesting that cancers of the colon, breast, prostate and lung are less common among people who get regular sun exposure. It's harder to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from the diet, because the amounts in fortified milk or fish like salmon, tuna or sardines are small.
    Vitamin D may also help protect people from developing type 2 diabetes (Diabetes Care, March 2006). A large study followed the diets and health habits of more than 80,000 women for 20 years. Women who got the most vitamin D and calcium were least likely to develop this condition.
    What should consumers do with this conflicting information? Dermatologists warn that excess sun exposure is harmful, but some vitamin D is beneficial. Sunscreen can keep the skin from making vitamin D, but it might not provide adequate protection from skin cancer.
    One possible way out of the dilemma is to be sensible about sun exposure. As little as 10 or 15 minutes of sun on arms and face three or four times a week without sunscreen should provide enough vitamin D. The alternative is to take supplements adding up to approximately 1,000 IU daily.
    After 10 minutes, make sure you have complete protection from harmful solar rays. Look for a physical sunblock with zinc oxide, titanium dioxide or both. Choices include Blue Lizard Australian Suncream, Solbar Zinc or Vanicream.
    It's possible to get enough vitamin D and protect your skin from damaging UV rays.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/3797376.html

FMluvswater
    I didn't know any of that either. :idea: Thanks, MMD.