Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trim tabs on a jet?

mevale
    I have a 21' day cruiser whit a Berkeley jet, droop and place diverter that I just recently installed. Would it be enough to get the boat less wet? Would installing trim tabs help a little more on rough water? Most of my boating is done at Lake Havasu.
    Thanks
    Joe
    Ps IÂ’m running a Ford 467 whit a 8-71 Blower.

Squirtin Thunder
    Joey,
    I really don't think you will need them with your boat it is heavy and the short bow will aid in the rough water. Plus now with the droop you will have much more leverage to hold the bow down in rough water. If that isn't enough next season we can remove the intake and have a shoe and ride plate added or you can go with Duanes add-on deal.
    Jim
    Duane HTP
    This is the perfect place for the Add On Shoe and Ride Plate Kit that we produce, (Hi-Tech). You can purchase them from most any reputable dealer today, $225.00. This is basically what they were designed for. They are not a better way to go than to redo your boat bottom and have the intake itself shoed, ($800.00 to $1500.00), but they are a great inexpensive way to add a ride plate to a boat that needs one, such as the situation in this thread that Moneysucker is asking about.
    This kit fits the JG & JC pumps.
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/im...oe_Kit_293.jpg
    This Kit Fits the JE & JF Pumps
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/3e-sho~1.jpg

mevale
    Jim
    I hope I understand this right a shoe and right plate does the same as trim tabs?

Squirtin Thunder
    Yes and No !!!

mevale
    Well letÂ’s start whit what does shoe and ride plate do?
    I think I know what trim tabs do (rise and lower the bow) right?
    Thanks for info.
    Joe

Squirtin Thunder
    A ride plate will do the same things as a cav plate. A shoe will reach down and grab more water. It will also pull or hold the rear of the boat in the water, tappered shoe. You can also stuf the nose or raise the transom with a back cut shoe. The Ride plate does the same exact things as cav plates.
    Give me a call
    Jim

mevale
    So does any body have any experience whit trim tabs on a jet?

bottom feeder
    Mevale,
    On your heavy hull I belive a trim tab will only create transom lift. (Push the bow down)
    When the plate is down it lengthens your running surface and the pressure of the water aginst it applies the force for transom lift. The length gives the tabs leverage. This leverage has the same result as moving the cg forward it will take more power to carry the nose.
    A shoe is installed to load more water into the suction housing or provide some degree of transom lift.
    The ride plate is installed for a multitude of reasons. Help with porpose, act as a sort of wheelie bar lets the hull rock back and take a set. or replace the void of the water which has taken a path through the pump.
    The diverter allows you to adjust the thrust line to some degree. you can push the transom down resulting in some bow rise or apply some transom lift and let the bow fall.
    I am sure some will have better description.

spectras only
    mevale, I added tabs on my 21 Spectra jet ,to help running in
    the ocean avoiding using kidney belts :rollside: .Tabs won't
    give you bowlift . A hydraulic place diverter is a better
    choice . I have hydraulic place on a 19' spectra and
    it's like a champ even in rough conditions on the lake.

mevale
    Mevale,
    On your heavy hull I belive a trim tab will only create transom lift. (Push the bow down)
    When the plate is down it lengthens your running surface and the pressure of the water aginst it applies the force for transom lift. The length gives the tabs leverage. This leverage has the same result as moving the cg forward it will take more power to carry the nose.
    A shoe is installed to load more water into the suction housing or provide some degree of transom lift.
    The ride plate is installed for a multitude of reasons. Help with porpose, act as a sort of wheelie bar lets the hull rock back and take a set. or replace the void of the water which has taken a path through the pump.
    The diverter allows you to adjust the thrust line to some degree. you can push the transom down resulting in some bow rise or apply some transom lift and let the bow fall.
    I am sure some will have better description.
    Thanks for the info. That paints a better picture for me.
    Joe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast