Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFM Eliminator Turbo

Beavertim
    I recently purchased a 78 21 ft eliminator with a dominator jet powered by a 460 PFM turbo-charged 460 Ford. Is anyone out there familiar with this set-up? I'm interested in RPM/Boost limits of the engine. The engine has a stinger ignition with a vac/boost sensor connected to it and I'm wondering what that does (retard ignition under boost?, advance ignition at low RPM/ atmospheric conditions?). Lastly, something is kicking open the circuit breaker between the battery and terminal board, but only under high RPM/boost conditions. Lack of battery connection makes it run rough at low rpm, not to mention difficult to start after the ignition is turned off (I found the circuit breaker after an hour of tinkering while drifting around Lake Piru (my inaugural Eliminator trip). Any information on this engine and boat would be greatly appreciated.

Terrible Buddhist
    PFM made a bunch of different turbo set ups...I am running a modified version on my 468, my uncle is running one on his 580 chevy. I run 6 lbs of boost, he runs 22lbs. You can set that thing up how ever you want...is it a single carb set up or dual carb? Intercooled or not? Wastegates?Pictures would be very helpful. The general rule of thumb is unless it is built for it run 8 lbs or less. My unle runs an MSD ignition on his and has no problem....I opted for a bit of insurance and got a Mallory BTC...it takes timing out as boost rises. I am not familiar with your ignition system unfortunately. I will say this though...Turbo's are fun!

Beavertim
    T.B.,
    Thanks for the response. I don't have any pictures of the engine right now, but should in the future.
    The first thing I noticed about the turbos was that they had no waste gates. The carb setup is a single vac secondary Holley T-ing into the turbos via an engine oil heated manifold. I believe from the numbers that it's a 750 CFM. The secondaries have # 90 jets. There is a washer pump H2O injection activated by a hobbs switch @~6 psi boost. There is an intercooler (water fed from the jet pump prior to entering the exhaust/engine cooling system) that looks original (78 circa). It appears to me that the RPM/Boost is controlled by carb size or just the pump load on the motor (or both).
    You are right, turbos are fun. There is that slight delay when you step on the throttle, but then hold on!
    Have you ever expiremented with NOS (low HP jets) on a turbo system? I have one sitting in the garage off my old 454 jet boat but am hesitant to try it on this boat. Do you think an 850 CFM carb would make any difference? I do like the way the vacuum secondaries work with the turbo and question whether mechanicals will work well, but I'm not aware of any Vac sec carbs bigger than 750 CFM. Thanks for the response Tim

Terrible Buddhist
    Water injected...wow, haven't seen that. I am wondering what the intercooler looks like. Anyway, this is not a high boost system, sounds a lot like what I have currently. I am using a set of T-04 turbo's and they spool up very quickly. As for NOS, you are asking for trouble. No wastegates makes it sound like there are probably relief holes in the turbo's that regulate the pressure, switching to an 850 will not help you a ton, and may even create more lag. Plus you will have to have whatever carb you go to boost referenced. You may just need to have your turbo's rebuilt, that should solve the lag problem. What kind of exhaust are you running?
    As for the NOS...If you decide to do it, which I don't recommend, you have to introduce the NOS before the turbo's. This is the way I have mine running, otherwise you are trying to introduce a lower pressure fuel mixture into a higher pressure area = lean out = dead motor. On a jet where RPM's are made very quickly, there should be no apparent turbo lag.
    oh, I use my nitrous system as a fuel enrichening system in case of ping.
    D:\My Webs\ecperformance\project468.htm

MKEELINE
    I have a 78 hallet v-drive cruiser(I know I'm in the wrong section but it's hard to find turbo info)that has an old PFM twin turbo set-up that sounds similar. I've rebuilt the motor, it's a 496 BBC. I'm using a MSD ignition w/ a boost timing managment unit. It also has small intercooler, does anyone make an intercooler that mounts to a single carb manifold?

Terrible Buddhist
    I do, but they are very expensive! You are almost better off making one yourself.

Terrible Buddhist
    And you are right...not many people are running turbo's, so it doesn't matter what pushes the boat, it is good to talk to other turbo people.

Can we start our own forum and support group? Not enough turbo info. out there.

Terrible Buddhist
    What are you running 058?

MKEELINE
    I'm interested in building an intercooler myself, but don't know where to start. What type of core, size, shape,etc? Any help is appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast