Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead Batteries with an Electric Hatch

mtndewdrops
    Last weekend I was taking my boat in for service and discovered that both batteries were dead. I wanted to charge the batteries but the hatch is electric. I figured that there would be a quick release pin on the hatch mechanism to allow for manual operation. :jawdrop: I could not see or feel anything when I looked through the hole beneath the rear seat. :frown:
    What is the normal procedure for accomplishing this?
    What I ended up doing is taking a cigarette lighter adapter, strip the ends, connect the ends to the battery charger with a 2 amp trickle charge and was finally able to open the hatch. It seemed a little like McGuiver, but it worked.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    I thought all elec. hatches had quick release.. I know ours does.. from experience also. :cry: are you sure they are somewhere you can't see them.. ours were pretty hard to see.. kind of had to feel around to see them.. :smile:

mtndewdrops
    I thought all elec. hatches had quick release.. I know ours does.. from experience also. :cry: are you sure they are somewhere you can't see them.. ours were pretty hard to see.. kind of had to feel around to see them.. :smile:
    I know there is a release pin at the top of the hydraulic ram, but I couldn't reach it!!! I am 6'3" and have pretty long arms too. Maybe an orangutan could reach it.
    Also don't mind feeling around...to see things.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    I know there is a release pin at the top of the hydraulic ram, but I couldn't reach it!!! I am 6'3" and have pretty long arms too. Maybe an orangutan could reach it.
    Also don't mind feeling around...to see things.
    LOL!! they are far.. maybe you can reach it with a crow bar.. They have the little hook thing at the end.. just a thought till you can get some put closer in reach. LOL!!

charlyox
    I had the same problem with my Essex.I couldn't reach the pin at the top of the ram.When I took it in I found out there is also a pin at the bottom of the ram. duh! you have to feel around.

DrewDown
    Take your hatch switch out and connect the wires to your cordless drill battery

Powerquestboy
    While I have never done this, I heard you can unhook the wires to the switch and hook them to one of those really big flashlight/Lantern battery's and it will get r done for you.

Roxysnow
    We ran into the same situation last year and found out there are a couple different electrical hatch systems. We had to do the same cig lighter thing too. What a pain in the ass! We ended up installing a automatic charger source in which we plug it in a leave and the batteries stay charged.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    We ran into the same situation last year and found out there are a couple different electrical hatch systems. We had to do the same cig lighter thing too. What a pain in the ass! We ended up installing a automatic charger source in which we plug it in a leave and the batteries stay charged.
    that's what we did also. I got tired of gettin scratched up from the little hole half your arm would fit in.. :hammer2:

LUVNLIFE
    that's what we did also. I got tired of gettin scratched up from the little hole half your arm would fit in.. :hammer2:
    Exactly. The hole on mine is small,I can get my arm in put when I try to pull and turn the pin my muscles flex and tears my arm up :cry: Why don't they make the holes a little bigger. My plan is to hard wire cable coming near the holes from the battery. Then I can just hook a charger right there if needed. And like someone else said, I do have a lighter in the engine compartment, I'm going to have to check it out if I can use it with an adapter.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast