Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick help

dtr352
    Posted this in just jets but figured I might get some help here too. I am trying to break in the cam on a motor I just rebuilt. The motor fires and revs to 3000rpm but after about a minute the number 5 exhaust pipe starts glowing red. What would cause this and how do I fix it?

dtr352
    Just checked the plugs and #5 is much lighter than the rest. What would cause this in just one cylender. I have dual carbs on a tunnell ram intake.

sanger rat
    You are running too lean. Check for a vacuum leak.

dtr352
    Would a vacuum leak cause this. Makes more sense then jetting since its just one cylender. But then again what do I know.

dtr352
    Here comes the stupid question. What is a vacuum leak. How can I find it. I know, not an easy question to answer but any info would help. I will look dumber later if the motor seizes so better to ask now.

dtr352
    I have a plate that sits between the carbs and the intake. There are gaskets between the carbs and plate but none between the plate and intake. Could this cause my problem. Should there be a gasket there.

texas-19
    check valve adjustment also.

blowngas
    "none between the plate and intake. Could this cause my problem. Should there be a gasket there"
    yep, or some silicone to seal it up

Liberator TJ1984
    Take some Carb Cleaner ans spray around intake and carb adapter gaskets and flanges while the motor is running ,it will rev up if there is a leak at that spot.....
    Blown gas P.M. me or I will call ya.....

victorfb
    check for a crack in the manifold on the #5 runner, and the manifold gasket and if its sealing around that port. if the leak is up near the carb it most likely would affect more than just one cyclinder. also check valve adjustment. did you use hydrolic lifters? it may be that the lifter is not getting oil and callapsing, meaning its not opening that valve enough. and the bad one... check your oil for metal flakes. you can distroy a cam in the first minute, and if that lobe went south it will cause this problem. check the valve lift and see if its the same as the rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast