Thread: oil cooler in cold water

tahitijet
    I was going to run the boat this weekend and thinking of bypassing the oil cooler since the water temp is going to be so low and to allow the oil to build some temp. The only thing i'm consernd about is that my motor runs way on the cool side already will not running the cooler to preheat the water cause the motor to run that much colder?
    Anyone have thoughts on this please?

malcolm
    Do you have an oil temp gauge? I'd bet the oil still gets plenty hot. If not, just run her wide open a little longer.

flat broke
    Depending on his cooler,that actually might not help. My setup actually sheds temp if I make long WOT passes, but I'm also running a 4x24" cooler and don't build any block pressure till higher RPMS.
    I'd say leave your plumbing as is. Just take more care in warming the boat up. Let her idle around longer and you should be fine.
    Chris

Hallett19
    I wish I had a low oil temp problem..... :cry:

Wet Dream
    I'm with flat broke on this one. I have the large cooler on mine and I don't see any block pressure until 4000+, and at that its barely bouncing off of zero. If you don't have an oil temp gauge, you can feel the bottom of the pan. My filter runs cool, (after the cooler/ before the engine) but the pan is still pretty warm after a good run. You should be able to get an idea of general oil temp.

blowngas
    take a clamp and squeeze the hose to limit the water thru the cooler!!!

LVjetboy
    Tahiti, I ran Mead yesterday with a lake water temp of 62 degrees. Not sure how that compares to CA lakes this time of year.
    I have no oil cooler.
    My engine water temp's steady at 120 degrees exiting the manifold during cruise. Some would consider this "cold" Even so, my oil temp ran well over 250 degrees (about 275-300) not long after reaching a cruise speed of 60-70 mph. That with 10 qts. Some would consider this "hot"
    Which temperature do you call "motor running cool"...water or oil?
    jer