That is what a "living will" is for. I am in no way in favor of "euthanasia", however if the situation is hopeless ( I realize this can be abused) I am not in favor of keeping someone in a prolonged period of pain just to be able to say that their brain or their heart is still functioning. I believe that in most states this argument is avoided by making it illegal without a living will. This should serve as a reminder to all of us who don't want to be cared for with a feeding tube or other life support with little or no hope of survival to get a living will and make sure it is notorized and witnessed and in the hands of someone who can speak for you in the event it is needed. There are always exceptions to doctors opinions. I remember a few years back about a victim who had been in a coma for many years who finally woke up. This may seem callous but what happens if the man gets a divorce while she is incapacitated, remarries and her family keeps her alive for 5 or 10 years and then she wakes up. The way our court systems make some stupid rulings now days her ex-husband could be in for a wild ride if she chose to dispute the divorce. In this particular case I think that if she has no living will and she lives in a state that forbids it without one the law should be followed. If she doesn't have a living will and the doctor's make the decision that recovery is not going to happen and recommend the tube be removed then so be it. I do not think the parents should be have the final say so. I know in my family that I am much closer to my wife than her parents or brothers and sisters. She sees them twice or three times a year and talks to her parents once every other month or so. At least in my case I am very sure I could comply with what my wife would want a lot better than her family could.