Thread: how to get head?

kachina_labala
    Now that I have you attention :supp:
    Im thinking of purchasing new heads. What effect does the intake runner volume 319cc vs 345cc have? what other things should I consider when choosing an aluminum head for my bbc with dual quads and lightning headers? I also need to pick a proper cam for the set up. What is the maximum duration with lightning headers to avoid reversion? Because I bought the boat used I dont know the compression ratio or the type of pistons or any info on the current camshaft. Im going to assume that they are stock. I have a mpd 1.5 prep Dominator pump with impeller loader and an "A" impeller. I currently get 52mph @ 4600 RMP in a 22.5' Kachina Labala.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...C00192-med.JPG
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...docked-med.jpg

1978 Rogers
    Isn't a Labala part of the female anatomy?

CARLSON-JET
    Kachina, glad to see you posting again... must be anxious to get back on the water again... I know I am .. post this over in the gearheads. if the boats not still sealed up .. pull a valve cover .. get the casting numbers off of the heads you have .. then look them up here http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm you might already have a set of decent heads. a cam change might be in order as opposed to a head change. 2 things are for certain .. you have enough cfm and a decent exhaust system. I cant remember what year motor you have, at this point without more info its a mad stab.. more compression equals higher octane fuel . if you have 8 to 1 compression now bumping that up to the high nine will gain a decent amount of power. With the right cam you might fool the motor into thinking it has a little more compression then it has now. as far as large ports vs small ports the smaller ports have better velocity which can help pack the cylinders with more air and fuel at lower rpms.. large ports are usually used for higher reving engines with high compression ( unless aspirated) 345cc is a big port for a 454 turning 4600 rpms. what is your goal? if you decide on a set of big port heads I have a really nice set posted in gearheads you can check out. I'll make you a deal on them .. but honestly they are way too much for a 454 in a lake boat IMO. anyways ... glad to see you hanging around..R.B.

jetboater5
    Kachina is that a gen v or gen vi block I have a gen vi 502 in my labala running high 60's low 70's I have pro topline aluminum 320cc on my motor with a roller cam and 9.8-1 comp running a holley dominator 1050 on a single plane intake. currently running a A cut with a modified dominator pump. I would be glad to give you some more info on my set up if you are interested. My uncle has a Labala also running a 460 bbf with some mods but he is only running low 60"s

kachina_labala
    Well its supposed to snow today. :cry: Im ready to get the boat out of storage and get started. Ill have to check the heads when it comes out of storage. Maybe I can just have a little porting done ans save some $ for the camshaft. I was thinking of the following cam. Its reccomended for a 454 pushing an "A" impeller. Any thoughts?
    Comp Cam (http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Se...umber=11-236-4)
    Does anyone know the specs on the cam to avoid reversion with lightning headers?

kachina_labala
    Jetboater,
    More Labala's cool. I would love more information on your set up and maybe some pictures. Any information at all. Have you done any other mods besides the motor? Im trying to come up with something nice to cover the hole at the entrance to the cabin. The carpet is always wet in the bottom. I was thinking of putting a hinged lid at deck level, removing the carpet, and turning it into a cooler.
    Please send me some info
    you can e-mail me @
    mattd@timsonsinc.com