Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st boat: New or pre-owned?

Titan7
    Hey Guys, I have read a lot on this site but now have a question since I am looking to purchase my first boat. I have narrowed it down to Ultra Custom Boats and Commander in a 21' Jet drive. Prices have gone up a lot since I last looked, but the pre-owned seem to hold their value pretty well. To all of you who have done this before did you wish you purchased new or pre-owned? I see the new Ultra 21' jets are about $45k, saw a pre-owned 98 22' ultra for 29k. What do you look for in pre-owned boat besides the normal "it looks clean". Is there a Kelly Blue Book for boat values somewhere? What is considered low and high hours?
    Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Kilrtoy
    Hey Guys, I have read a lot on this site but now have a question since I am looking to purchase my first boat. I have narrowed it down to Ultra Custom Boats and Commander in a 21' Jet drive. Prices have gone up a lot since I last looked, but the pre-owned seem to hold their value pretty well. To all of you who have done this before did you wish you purchased new or pre-owned? I see the new Ultra 21' jets are about $45k, saw a pre-owned 98 22' ultra for 29k. What do you look for in pre-owned boat besides the normal "it looks clean". Is there a Kelly Blue Book for boat values somewhere? What is considered low and high hours?
    NADA.COM
    is a good place to find values...
    GO FOR A TEST RIDE. make sure the boats works properly.....
    make sure there is no rot or broken wood....

Phat Matt
    If you don't care about your own custom gel, used is a good way to go.
    www.nadaguides.com
    That's the KBB for boats but it isn't completely accurate because of all the different options available.
    Good luck and oh, mine might be for sale soon. But it's a 24.

dc96819
    If no experience get a pre owned first

HOOTER SLED-
    Titan. I have ArtV's 94 Ultra in my driveway looking for a new owner. If you are wanting one more than a couple of years old. Personally I would recommend pre-owned to get a feel for what you want and like. Not to mention to beat up. Gain your experience on something used first. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

Titan7
    Good suggestions,
    I am leaning towards pre-owned since it will have a few small scuffs etc, it would hurt to scratch a new $45k boat while learning :hammerhea I will not go older than 98, but if a really clean and well maintained older boat came around I would look at it. I would hope there is a place I could take it to have it checked out? Heck, I would not be able to tell if the hull has a crack or something or a stringer is cracking, Motor rod knocking when pulling a skier. That's the thing that scares me on pre-owned. What's the normal amount of hours on a motor and pump before a rebuild?
    Sorry for all the dumb questions, let me know if I am posting in the wrong spot.
    Take care!

Quality Time
    If you are concerned about all of that then pay to have the boat surveyed by a licensed marine surveyor. May cost you some money up front, but could save you a chit load in the future.
    Good Luck

Kilrtoy
    Good suggestions,
    I am leaning towards pre-owned since it will have a few small scuffs etc, it would hurt to scratch a new $45k boat while learning :hammerhea I will not go older than 98, but if a really clean and well maintained older boat came around I would look at it. I would hope there is a place I could take it to have it checked out? Heck, I would not be able to tell if the hull has a crack or something or a stringer is cracking, Motor rod knocking when pulling a skier. That's the thing that scares me on pre-owned. What's the normal amount of hours on a motor and pump before a rebuild?
    Sorry for all the dumb questions, let me know if I am posting in the wrong spot.
    Take care!
    No not dumb at all...
    Engine is hard to tell... How did the person drive the boat, how did they maintain the boat, etc.....

clownpuncher
    Like said earlier, if you're not worried about customizing your own grafics, power etc. then used is a good way to go. Just buy from a good seller. From what I've heard on the boards, an HB seller is usually a pretty safe bet. I bought a used boat from Froggystyle and couldn't be happier. You're bound to find a few members on the boards that are at least a little familiar with another board members boat for sale and they'll attest to the good or bad about the boat (although I haven't heard much "bad")
    In short, an HB members boat is probably a good buy.

Titan7
    I am not too concerned about the gel colors and long I like them, heck I don't think I have seen an Ultra or for that matter any boat photo on this board I did not like! I am really just concerned about getting a well maintained, reliable boat, that has not been abused. Good advice from all of you, thanks. I will keep my eye out here and boat trader for something.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast