Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 02' 300X Volt problems

MONEYFURNOTHIN
    So im out on the lake yesterday and my smartcraft alarm goes off. The volts are in th 16 range! I get out of it and when the rpm's drop the volts drop back to about 13.8, back in the throttle and they spike back to 16! Anyone have any expierience with this? Seems like it could be a voltage regulater, but im not sure. Could the altenater just be bad? HELP, im parker bound in a couple weeks and want to get it fixed.

F26
    post this on screamandfly.com
    these guys seem to be very sharp

Boatmaster
    You need no help you just answered your own problem, most likely your regutator is out and your alt will fale soon after. This is very common. Fix this problem soon because it will melt the output wire in your harness from the alt to the starter soleniod. Large stereos and older batteries are the main cause of this problem.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
    The boat doesnt have a large stereo, and its an 02 with about 40 hours on it. I just picked it up, has ran with no problems for about 8 hrs or so that i have put on it. Batteries seem to be in good condition, never had a problem starting or running the stereo. Could it be the fusable link from the alt. Can you just get the regulater or do you have to replace the alt. I think the reg is in the alt but im not sure

Propster
    Could be the rectifier. Doesn't take too much to pop it. I hooked up the battery wrong on 2.5 for a split second and it quit charging. On the 2.5 it was a small silver thing that looked like a relay on the side of the motor by the starter. Since the 3.0 has an alternator, it may be in the alternator.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
    All things seem to lead back to the alt., just gonna suck it up shell out the cash, and hope...

Tom Brown
    All things seem to lead back to the alt., just gonna suck it up shell out the cash, and hope...
    I think they used a GM alternator on the 300X so I suspect you can replace the rectifier seperately. Any starter/alternator rebuild shop should be able to test it out for you, repair it, and return it like new... if you're OK with the R&R.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
    Ill take the bad one and see if someone can rebuild it. Keep it for back up. Anyone know of any shops that do this?

MONEYFURNOTHIN
    New alt. and im back in business. Having bad alt. rebuilt now for a spare

Boatmaster
    Glad to hear it worked. Are you going to the BBSP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast