Thread: 300X Low Temp at low RPM?

F26
    normally both 03 300X run around 120F but this weekend the port motor stayed around 104F until past 3000rpm then it would climb to normal temp and match the starboard side. The poppit valve seemed to be ok when i pulled it. Any suggestions?

Boatmaster
    Something stuck in one of your thermostats, very common problem. Most likely your star. head that the sender is in. Only reason I say that is because your gauge was showing a cool temp.

mbrown2
    I had a little rock stuck in one of my Thermostats which caused the motor to see that bank of cylinders as cool and would send more fuel to it and it would cause it to run fat...easily found when they hooked the diagnostic and saw the cold condition on that bank of cylinders..
    On yours though, not sure if the temps start to rise once your RPM's go up???

F26
    the temp climbs to normal when i am running
    i will check the thermostats...thanks guys

BoatFloating
    Now mine is the opposite. My starboard motor runs about 116 at idle and then when I get on it it runs about 104 on the starboard motor. I talked to Merc and they said any cooler it will go into rich mode and start fowling plugs. I imagine when I was in havasu last time water temp is still cool and air temp was cool so I'm not sure if that's why it's running a lower temp.

F26
    i talked to one guy that does a lot with merc performance and was told that the o-rings in the heads on th 300X are not the best and could be going as well. I will keep you guys posted

F26
    trash was in the left bank thermostat when i looked last nite.
    thanks guys
    i appreciate the help!