Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine rail kits/cav plate

J540
    3/8 angle and 3/8 backer plate :squiggle:
    Jake
    YES that is stronger, but some dont want to spend a littel more. I have 3/8 and 1/4. took the 3/8s out to do some machining on them and put the 1/4" ones in cuz they were already done, then got lazy an never put the 3/8s ones in OH well its has 1300 +HP and all is well. well kinda

Roman 1
    Please bear to mind you are bolting it to a peice of wood.
    Brian
    Oh really, what happened to the fibreglass that wrapped it? And what size are those stringers? I would bet they are heavier than the 2 boats you've worked on :idea:
    R1 :supp:

GofastRacer
    Well Rudy Ramos just informed me I need to move my motor foward and build 1 inch longer cav plates, so I guess im going to build a rail kit and new plates. Any pictures and specs anyones got would be great . What kinda materials/dimmensions/motor mounts thanks for the help in advance Ryan.
    Check your PM's!..

wsuwrhr
    Oh really, what happened to the fibreglass that wrapped it? And what size are those stringers? I would bet they are heavier than the 2 boats you've worked on :idea:
    R1 :supp:
    Maybe 5/16. I just don't think 3/8 is necessary.
    2 boats? That ain't right. Keep counting pal.
    Metal strength is just that, doesn't matter what is hooked to. I still say 3/8 is overkill.
    Brian

FlatUgly
    I guess I forgot to mention this is all in a 71 rayson craft 18lp, plans are to run 18% gears with a menkins prop and the 468 BBC im having built(est 700-750hp@ 7500rpms) all with a goal of trying to break 100mph!!! thanks for all the great info and help RYan

FlatUgly
    So Im pretty sure im gonna make the rails and plates out of aluminum, the hulls already heavy enough! What grade would be best for the plates becuase of the flex needed( they are 3/16th thick) and should I use a different type for the rails? Should the rails run from transom to bulkhead connecting the v drive and everything? Thanks RYan

76BARRON
    Somone on these boards posted a bunch of pix of a red Rayson Craft GN boat a few monthes ago and had DETAILED photos of every thing you need to know to make your boat bullit proof. Maybe sonbody can repost or bump it back up the list.

wsuwrhr
    So Im pretty sure im gonna make the rails and plates out of aluminum, the hulls already heavy enough! What grade would be best for the plates becuase of the flex needed( they are 3/16th thick) and should I use a different type for the rails? Should the rails run from transom to bulkhead connecting the v drive and everything? Thanks RYan
    I use 6061, it is a common alloy, pretty strong.
    Shapes(for the rails) are easiest found in 6061.
    Brian

GofastRacer
    All 6061 T6, 3/16" for the plates, 3/8" for motor plates and 2x3x1/4" angle for the rails and 3x1/4" flat on the outside for backing!..

76BARRON
    DUH..........Just in case you havn't allready seen it, much of the same detail can be seen on the BIESMEYER BUILD UPDATE thread .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast