Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Water impeller ???

OutCole'd
    How many people here change just the impeller itself or do you replace the entire assembly, housing and all???

a catered life
    just had one done and i was told its a new kind with the housing and impeller all in one suppose to be a better unit :jawdrop: did i just say better unit

Phat Matt
    I think the type of engine has a lot to do with it.

franky
    An impeller is about $25, the whole assembly (housing, wear plates, seals) is about $70. As long as the housing looks OK and the wear plates are not all grooved out, you can usually just replace the impeller. However, for the difference in $, replace it all, the biggest hassle is the R&R. Always carry a spare pump kit. No water pressure, no go.. When you replace an impeller that has come apart or lost some pieces, make sure and backflush the oil cooler cause thats where the little pieces of rubber end up and you will have water flow problems (over heating).
    That is assuming that you have the old style bakalite (sp?) style. If you have the new style like on the 496 your f@cked. The Pump housing is brass and is good for only 2-3 impeller changes (200 hours or so). Then you have to replace the grooved out pump at the tune of $500.

purrfecttremor
    i had to replace that ****ing brass housing at 30 hrs.now i have 67 total on
    the boat. merc is supposed to be working on a better replacment.
    the impeller should be replaced every year.

OutCole'd
    Anyone have a link to where I can order the assembly online for a 525?

LHC30Victory
    If anyone has an old housing (the 500$ kind) from the newer 496HO"s, I would be interested. A friend and I were talking about the cost of braizing and CNC machining them back to life but I don't have an old pump to work with.

OutCole'd
    rex will have it or aps-speed/mair @ the zoo
    Problem is, boat is there, and I am here. The sales guy at Rex today says I need to know which kind of impeller I have on my motor.
    I would think that all HP525's use the same impeller.

WYRD
    If anyone has an old housing (the 500$ kind) from the newer 496HO"s, I would be interested. A friend and I were talking about the cost of braizing and CNC machining them back to life but I don't have an old pump to work with.
    You can refinish the plate side but the other side of this unit is too deep into the housing to mill.(did I just say the unit is too deep) I had a buddy who tried to re work his could not do it. so it is 500 bucks for a new one I have heard that merc is working on a replacment unit out of plastic(still needs to be replaced but much cheaper) or steel(much harder then brass but will rust) instead of the crap brass that they have now. all we can do is wait and see.

NashvilleBound
    Call Gary over at GT Performance he just shipped a spare out here to me....I think it was like $35ish. I always keep a spare.....Gary has the super whammy improved models too.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast