Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with the gelcoat...help!

tamalewagon
    Mostly for the So. Cal peeps or local San Diegans. Does anyone know of a detailer that can bring back a little "luster" to my gelcoat? It's getting a bit faded and needs to get it's "zing" back.

clownpuncher
    PM Froggystyle. He was telling me of a guy out your way that's supposed to be the shit. Or, PM JBB and he can tell you the materials you need to buy to do it yourself. He's pretty talented with that stuff. Or, take it to Havasu and have John (warlock25) do it. He hooked me up, boat looked awsome when he was done.

pixrthis
    I know you don't want to drive to Castaic but I had a guy make mine look like new with metal polish. I have never heard of this but it looks killer. I'm sure there's somebody in you area. Good luck.

Daytona100
    Try some maguiers oxidation remover and follow it up with some good wax works for me.

HOOTER SLED-
    Man, this shit ain't hard. A circular buffer makes it easy. If it's not that bad, you can just use a polish w/ the buffer to take off the oxidation. Should only take like an hour or two. If it's kinda bad, then you just need to use a compound first. Easy shit. Try 3M products. They work great. Finish off with a coat or two of some good carnauba wax to protect.

tamalewagon
    Thanks everyone...I think I'm going to give it a go myself as Hootersled is challenging! I'll report back and let you know when I've decided to throw in the towel and bust out for the professional.

HOOTER SLED-
    Thanks everyone...I think I'm going to give it a go myself as Hootersled is challenging! I'll report back and let you know when I've decided to throw in the towel and bust out for the professional.
    Let me know if you got any ?????? tamale. You feel better after you bust your ass to do it. Stand back with a coldie in your hand and admire your work. That's what I always do.

jbtrailerjim
    Try buffing it out with some 3M Finesse-It. It does a good job getting light oxidation out.

BarryMac
    Scott, if you decide to have someone else do it PM MC Orion, he has a detail shop in El Cajon and he does the Gel work for Ultra, not sure if he will have time until after summer but the work he does is unbelievable. He actually gave a way a $600.00 detail at the SD get together in December, you also may want to PM MalibuKen, he won it and see how his boat turned out...

tamalewagon
    Let me know if you got any ?????? tamale. You feel better after you bust your ass to do it. Stand back with a coldie in your hand and admire your work. That's what I always do.
    Yeeha...JBB gave me the step by step and if all else fails...then I call in the pro's. But you're right, I would like to try it first and stand back for with a coldie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast