Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CONNECTING ROD BRANDS

lakesmodified
    OK GEAR HEADS a question for all. I know Hallett is in the process of rebuilding his 460 Ford, as well as a few others... Me too.. Anyways, been searching the net, eBay, etc for a source of BBF aftermarket RODS.. I have found out that Eagle and CAT rods are forged and machined in China!!! Has anyone here used them, and what are your thoughts? I've never been a proponent of Jap parts in my engines, but at over $1600 for a set of Carillo/Crower etc rods, I'm wondering if these rods are quality items. I've heard a few people on this board say that Eagle products were crap, as well as others say they've used them in blown BB engines approaching the 1000 HP mark.. What gives? Should I spend my money on a re-worked set of Ford Truck rods, or buy a set of these foreign jobs???
    [This message has been edited by lakesmodified (edited May 23, 2002).]

Infomaniac
    I have Eagles in mine. They had problems in the beginning. Since they have a good QC program. Each rod is x-ray tested. Just be sure to get the L-19 bolts.

PE857
    I have a set of Eagle rods in my blown inj BBC drag motor, over 1000 hp and 1000 lb/ft torque, with over 100 passes. No problems, knock on wood, racing them again this season. If these would let go i would buy another set tomorrow.

lakesmodified
    Great to hear positive feedback regarding the Eagle Rods.... I just cannot justify spending close to 2 grand for a set of rods.. Anyone hear about the CAT rods?
    Here's their website:http://www.catpep.com/
    I spoke with a Speed Shop in Nevada and the owner was telling me that the Eagle and CAT rods are actually one and the same?? They're supposedly forged/machined in the same plant. I'm just wondering if the Eagle rods are inspected to a higher degree (x-ray for instance) than the cheaper (but look identical) "CAT" rods?? They are both offered with the L19 bolts as an upgrade, and they both carry the same HP ratings.. By the way, thanks for your input. Anyone have a supplier of Eagle Rods at a better price? Ivan

wsm9808
    I,ve sold several sets of the CATs through my shop and have had no negative feedback, and will be putting a set in my blown 454 that is going together next week. we like em so far.The prices on their web site is a little high. There is a guy on ebay selling them for 300.00(bbc), which is cheeper than our cost from the wholesale distibutor. We sale them @ 399.00
    [This message has been edited by wsm9808 (edited May 23, 2002).]

Infomaniac
    Originally posted by lakesmodified:
    Great to hear positive feedback regarding the Eagle Rods.... I just cannot justify spending close to 2 grand for a set of rods.. Anyone hear about the CAT rods?
    Here's their website:http://www.catpep.com/
    I spoke with a Speed Shop in Nevada and the owner was telling me that the Eagle and CAT rods are actually one and the same?? They're supposedly forged/machined in the same plant. I'm just wondering if the Eagle rods are inspected to a higher degree (x-ray for instance) than the cheaper (but look identical) "CAT" rods?? They are both offered with the L19 bolts as an upgrade, and they both carry the same HP ratings.. By the way, thanks for your input. Anyone have a supplier of Eagle Rods at a better price? Ivan
    I bought a set of CAT from Doug Herbert. (They were the Herbert Brand) Bought my Eagles from a guy on e-bay. They come from the same source. The difference is as I described before. Eagle x-ray's each one of them. Cat passes them on as is. Most folks that sell "H" beam rods get them from CAT. The price tells you which ones. I did not have any problems with the CAT rods.
    [This message has been edited by Infomaniac (edited May 23, 2002).]

I run a set of the Eagle 6.800" rods [BBC journal size] in a 514" BBF....No problem whatsoever. Alot better than the CJ/Truck rod even with the ARP/SPS bolts. Run Crower steel rods in the other 460.

lakesmodified
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by wsm9808:
    [B]I,ve sold several sets of the CATs through my shop and have had no negative feedback, and will be putting a set in my blown 454 that is going together next week. we like em so far.The prices on their web site is a little high. There is a guy on ebay selling them for 300.00(bbc), which is cheeper than our cost from the wholesale distibutor. We sale them @ 399.00
    WSM, so you haven't heard anything negative about these CAT rods, are they manufactured by the same plant as the Eagle (like I thought) but without the
    x-ray inspection? What's the difference in price with the L-19 cap bolts? Thanks again for all the feedback.... Like I said earlier, $1800 for set of Carillo isn't an option. Ivan

lakesmodified
    058, how long has your 514 BBF been together? So the way I understand it, these rods are much stronger than the SCJ and Truck Ford rods? Ivan

lakesmodified
    OK, after additional exhaustive research, I've found out that Lunati BBF "H" beam rods p/n LQZI are ALSO manufactured by the same plant that manufactures the CAT rods!!!! The Lunati set sells from retailers for as much as $737/set, or you can get them directly from Lunati in Memphis, TN(4 miles away from where I work at Memphis International Airport) for $530/set!!! I spoke with a tech guy at Lunati and he's the one that informed me about Lunati's H-beam origin... Also from China, according to him, same people that manufacture the Eagles, Cat, Lunati... HMMMMM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast