Thread: Gauge question

Magic34
    I am just looking at some of the gauges I am getting on the new boat, and came across one that I was wondering what it was for.
    knockmeter gauge???
    I am guessing it has to do with the blower, but what does it measure or how does it do it? Rotors, bearings?

Havasu Hangin'
    Detonation.

riverracerx
    I have the "knocker-meter" gauge. It measures how big the breast are on the passengers in the boat.

Charley
    I have the "knocker-meter" gauge. It measures how big the breast are on the passengers in the boat.
    why would anyone want a gauge for that when you can do it manually? :wink:

Keith E. Sayre
    if your engine detonates and is getting ready to have pistons swapping holes
    etc, there will be a distinct amount of pounding in a rather rythmic way. The
    knockmeter measures vibrations and any rather abrupt amount of vibrations
    should be checked out. It only takes a few seconds to melt down a piston
    or two in a blown motor at 6000 rpm. This device will also pick up on other]
    things that result in vibrations.
    Keith Sayre
    Conquest Boats

Dave C
    Wouldn't that be past tense?
    so are you saying it is analogous to the old cars that had clocks in place of the tachometer? So you can tell what time it was when you over-revved and blew up your motor?
    something along those lines? :wink:
    It only takes a few seconds to melt down a piston
    or two in a blown motor at 6000 rpm.

Magic34
    There is an issue with running the superchillers with the Merc 575 motors. The blowers aren't the best that they put on those, so would this gauge help me minimize blower/motor issues?
    The bearings and rotors go bad in these blowers and the blower shop replacement is $3500/blower. I am hoping I can run the Merc blowers as long as possible.

Jrocket
    There is an issue with running the superchillers with the Merc 575 motors. The blowers aren't the best that they put on those, so would this gauge help me minimize blower/motor issues?
    The bearings and rotors go bad in these blowers and the blower shop replacement is $3500/blower. I am hoping I can run the Merc blowers as long as possible.
    A Merc 575 runs MEFI4 and has a knock sensor already doesnt it?

Jrocket
    if your engine detonates and is getting ready to have pistons swapping holes
    etc, there will be a distinct amount of pounding in a rather rythmic way. The
    knockmeter measures vibrations and any rather abrupt amount of vibrations
    should be checked out. It only takes a few seconds to melt down a piston
    or two in a blown motor at 6000 rpm. This device will also pick up on other]
    things that result in vibrations.
    Keith Sayre
    Conquest Boats
    Thats the more technical way to put it...easier terms would be more like...The guy that has a motor built and says that he will always put good gas in it but when he pulls up to the pump and see's the prices hunches down so his buddies cant see him being a cheap ass and grabs the nozzle for the cheap stuff and the motor start to rattle internally...that is when the knock sensor detects detonation and pulls out timing or adds fuel or both..
    Every high performance boater/drinker should have one!

Beer-30
    Yay though the ECM will be correcting for it, the gauge is nice to know that you got a bad load of fuel, running out of fuel, plugged filter, high temperature. It's just a "nicety".