Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mufflers

Indiansprings
    I was thinking Northstar's for my 500 EFI. Was talked into the Gibson 's. I sure am glad too. Saved alot of cash. You still know its a healthy motor, Just doesnt have the Krackle. Way within limits. Call Bob at Dana Marine. He has done some testing on the 525. You wont be disappointed.

Beer-30
    The REX tips are guaranteed for the 525. They are (I think) nicer looking than the Gibsons, but not by much. They are pricey also. The Northstars did not impress me at all. Teagues display at LA had one to show and the mechanism looked thin and weak. Any moving parts with water flowing over them are gonna come apart at some point. I llke the look of the Cyclones. Don't know how they'll do with twins.

INSman
    The REX tips are guaranteed for the 525. They are (I think) nicer looking than the Gibsons, but not by much. They are pricey also. The Northstars did not impress me at all. Teagues display at LA had one to show and the mechanism looked thin and weak. Any moving parts with water flowing over them are gonna come apart at some point. I llke the look of the Cyclones. Don't know how they'll do with twins.
    The Rex's with a single 525 hit 89.9DB, I can't see how twins are gonna pass, unless they just see that I have mufflers and let me go.

Procraftkev
    I went with the Eddie Marine Big Gun Plus mufflers To new to be in the hot boat test.I run the 540ci Merlin 650hp I have not put a db meter but I can tell you there to quiet no power loss.They made a huge impact on the sound output and at 500.00 the price was right and there not clamp ons so they dont look like an after thought.

Chase
    Personally I have the Captains call on my boat...but it doesn't matter for a couple of reasons...a small block doesn't make enough noise to worry about, AND there are no noise laws where I boat...just pissed off fisherman.
    The reason I chirp in here is I was talking with OGshocker a short time ago with regards to the mufflers he has on his boat....he had concerns of the ones he had as to whether or not they were allowing adequete waterflow out of the exhaust...meaning there was a pressure build up that was harmful to the engine. Now I don't know the exact details, or brand of mufflers, but it would be worth a PM to him just to check....
    I know he may not be on the boards for a few days, but still ask his opinion....

Dana Marine Products
    When the Gibson's were tested at the Hot Boat muffler review, they did not have external flappers on the ends. The external flappers will detour an extra 1 db off a single engine. On a twin 525 it may be close, but with the external flappers you'll be really close or good to go.

ChumpChange
    Mufflers? You don't need no stinkin mufflers!

ELIMINAT THIS
    Mufflers? You don't need no stinkin mufflers!
    I hope not we will be down in Havasu for the first time 13 days and counting.My boat hit 98-99db on the meter.Hope I dont get :hammerhea by the LE.

CJ
    Gibson Bullets brought my 525 to 85db! And they look good! Of course I have quite a few things clinging to my transom so that helps.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...G_0026-med.JPG
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...G_0025-med.JPG

CJ
    Oh . . . and I spoke to the po po on the lake and each of them said they wrote between 10 and 15 noise tickets last weekend. Still a lot of guys saying, "I'm not putting them on 'til they force me." I have a feeling they will be forcing them soon. Call it a red flag. I hope these guys aren't drinking.
    No stress for me!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast