Thread: Carb jetting ???

Squirtin Thunder
    OK this is a general rule acording to the Holley web site; For every 2000' of elivation go down one jet size, 80 base (sealevel) to 79 corrected (2000' above).
    How do you feel that plays out in the real world ???
    OK this is what they said about the powervalve;
    Check the man vac and drop 2" and that is the right size power valve, so if engine has 12" you use a 10.0 valve or a 9.5, if you have 8" you use a 6.5.
    How do you think this works in real world ???

OK this is a general rule acording to the Holley web site;
    How do you think this works in real world ???Contrary to popular belief jetting down for higher altitude is not exactly accurate anymore. Since a carb is nothing more than a device that uses atmospheric pressure to mix fuel it will respond to less pressure by pushing less fuel thru the jets. See the article that Rher-Morrison wrote in National Dragster on jetting for altitude, they said it better than I can.

Fiat48
    Contrary to popular belief jetting down for higher altitude is not exactly accurate anymore. Since a carb is nothing more than a device that uses atmospheric pressure to mix fuel it will respond to less pressure by pushing less fuel thru the jets. See the article that Rher-Morrison wrote in National Dragster on jetting for altitude, they said it better than I can.
    TA DA. Why a carburetor is more forgiving and why an injector isn't.

GofastRacer
    Wheww, sure glad I got over the brain fart and put the injectors back on!..

steelcomp
    TA DA. Why a carburetor is more forgiving and why an injector isn't
    A carb is infinitely intelligent...injection only does what you tell it to do.

Fiat48
    OK this is a general rule acording to the Holley web site;
    How do you think this works in real world ???
    Watch out for Holley jet numbers. My memory on Holley jets is long past but I remember some jet sizes were just slight flow differences between numbers while others were huge jumps in flow sizes. Somthing like 79 to 80 was a big jump but then 80's clear up to 83's were all very slight with an 84 being another huge jump.
    At altitude you have less air flowing through the carb so less fuel will be "dragged" out of the venturi. So carbs automatically flow a little less when there is less air.
    As far ass powervalve opening..that is for real. Has more to do with stumbling or flat spots if too high a power valve number.
    Always burn as much fuel as you can. Rich first..then if you cannot burn it take it away. That's how to make power. Burn more fuel.

Fiat48
    Wheww, sure glad I got over the brain fart and put the injectors back on!..
    Yeah....sure...like nobody ever goes back.

Sleek26
    A carb is infinitely intelligent...injection only does what you tell it to do.
    I'd be thrilled to the core if anything on a boat did what I told it to!