Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1'st day out.....

Dans66Stevens
    Well I think the Hot-Tank thing is the best way, however its only a few weeks from Anna.
    I think Id pull the pan and clean it very well. Id also pull a couple bearing caps and just see how much junk you see.
    I worked for a Chevrolet dealer for 2 years. The old 305s use to eat cams for lunch.They would pop the intake off and throw in a new cam. Change the oil and away it would go.
    Like I said the Hot Tank is the best, but I think you could clean things up and it would be ok. Just my .02 cents.

froggystyle
    Originally posted by HammerDown:
    When draining the oil there where (no) metal flakes or chips...but more like a silver type of dust mixed in the oil. Also no metal flake's where to be found in the heads where oil puddles.
    Think of it this way... There are a couple ounces of metal in your engine... you don't know where it is, and you haven't seen it yet!
    My money would be on finding that metal, or removing the chance of finding it later (hot tank, new gaskets)

beached1
    Originally posted by timitunnel:
    If it were me I would pull the motor and tank it. Gaskets are alot cheaper than a complete rebuild. How much for a picture of you paddeling to shore???? PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!Tim
    Well said.
    Hammer, how pissed are you going to be if or when you throw a rod because you didn't tear it all apart and have the block diped?
    Dude, I can imagine how you feel but are you willing to chance it? I wouldn't.

HammerDown
    Now what I've come to find is that my machine shop add'ed a second inner spring to my original single spring set up.
    What this did was to increase not only my installed seat pressure but also drove the open valve sprind psi ski high!
    The cam never had a chance, the only thing it could do was burn up.
    My original spring# is 911-16 a single spring w/dampner. Aprox. installed ht. at 1.900 should be 115 lbs....with the extra spring he added it went to almost 140lbs.!!!
    The Open pressure of the original spring was almost 285 at 1.500...with the added spring it tested to be 370 lbs.!!!
    When I picked up the heads from the shop some 2 months ago I noticed the added spring. I asked him if there would be issues with Cam break in...he assured me no way.He stated I added the extra spring due to comp. Cams up grading the required spring to part#924 which is a double spring w/dampner
    BUT...here's the factor...my single spring was beefer than the big spring on the double set...get what I'm saying here? He totaly over chargeg my spring setup.My single spring was almost as strong as a double spring...and he add'ed another inner spring! And also Comp. requires the builder to (((remove))) the inner spring on any double spring flat tappet cam for break in.
    The moral of this experance....I'm ****ED! even though I proved he messed up using his own spring tester in front of him...He just dosent seem to care.
    I do agree the motor must be torn down...and a real shame after all the work I've done on it and money spent...over 450.00 on the heads alone. And only ran it for maybe 30 mim total.
    But not going thru it and checking everything out again would be to nerve racking being out there on the water and not knowing it may blow at any time. There's no fun in that!....so....here I go again.
    Much thanks for everyone's input on the matter....HammerDown

TE081
    What speed shop did you use? Originally posted by HammerDown:
    Now what I've come to find is that my machine shop add'ed a second inner spring to my original single spring set up.
    What this did was to increase not only my installed seat pressure but also drove the open valve sprind psi ski high!
    The cam never had a chance, the only thing it could do was burn up.
    My original spring# is 911-16 a single spring w/dampner. Aprox. installed ht. at 1.900 should be 115 lbs....with the extra spring he added it went to almost 140lbs.!!!
    The Open pressure of the original spring was almost 285 at 1.500...with the added spring it tested to be 370 lbs.!!!
    When I picked up the heads from the shop some 2 months ago I noticed the added spring. I asked him if there would be issues with Cam break in...he assured me no way.He stated I added the extra spring due to comp. Cams up grading the required spring to part#924 which is a double spring w/dampner
    BUT...here's the factor...my single spring was beefer than the big spring on the double set...get what I'm saying here? He totaly over chargeg my spring setup.My single spring was almost as strong as a double spring...and he add'ed another inner spring! And also Comp. requires the builder to (((remove))) the inner spring on any double spring flat tappet cam for break in.
    The moral of this experance....I'm ****ED! even though I proved he messed up using his own spring tester in front of him...He just dosent seem to care.
    I do agree the motor must be torn down...and a real shame after all the work I've done on it and money spent...over 450.00 on the heads alone. And only ran it for maybe 30 mim total.
    But not going thru it and checking everything out again would be to nerve racking being out there on the water and not knowing it may blow at any time. There's no fun in that!....so....here I go again.
    Much thanks for everyone's input on the matter....HammerDown

HammerDown
    Speed Equiptment did the crank, and Mahler Engine Service did the heads and block hone. He's also the fella that let me use his shop to set in my intake for the pump...(I needed some place w/heat.) the motor must come out...Dosent look to good for my boat being at Anna...

froggystyle
    That really sucks bro. Too bad.
    I wouldn't fall on your sword though. The least this guy owes you is to pull some favors with a machine shop for quick in and out preference. Assembling a motor takes a day max, and then it is an install. If you can get the block tanked, cleaned, rebuild kit in hand and a fresh can of gloss black VHT engine paint, you can be back on the water by the weekend.

Dans66Stevens
    Hammerdown....That really bites the Weenie!!!I feel for you. You have got my kind of LUCK!!!
    I think the guy should do something to help you out.
    If I could do something to HELP!! Please let me know. I would be glad to spend a Saturday and give you a hand. I know the kind of schedule you work. Im not that far away.
    I can see how a huge amount of spring pressure would kill the lobes in a hurry.
    I think Froggystyle is right you should be able to get it back together. Hell the stock car boys do it every WEEK!!!

canuck1
    General rule to go by is thst if the cam went away over time just replace the cam, if it went away quick pull the motor and completely clean everything and replace all bearings, cam bearings too

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123