Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JET TECH FROM GREG SHOEMAKER

gregshoemaker
    For the past 30 yrs. I have been involved in the high performance boating industry. During this time I have made a lot of friends through customers and racing and have come to the realization that I am never going to make everybody happy.
    I started G.S.Marine in l979 with $500.00 in my pocket and a desire to be my own business man. I had one employee and a two boat shop. During this time I tried, and to this day I still try to give the customer as much personal attention as I can in dealing with his boating needs. Whether it be a jet, v-drive or I/O.
    My employees have been with me for 10 to 15 years. I have to rely upon them to produce the kind of work that I am proud of as G.S. Marine. These individuals have been personally trained with the knowledge that I have learned throughout the years.
    When it comes to writing the jet tech column, I probably received 25 to 50 calls per day asking for technical advise, ranging from camshaft selection to how deep should I set my shoe. I am the first one to admit that I do not know everything there is to know about performance boating. I will say that with the amount of racing experience that I have generated throughout the years. Starting off with a jet boat that ran 65 mph to a top alcohol hydro that ran over 220 mph, I have learned through my mistakes. I try to make sure that my customers do not make those same mistakes.
    I apologize for not fullfilling the requirements to some of your expectations, but I feel that I did the best job that I could with the time I had available for this column.

custom-cruiser
    Greg,
    Half the people I talk to think your a GOD the other half the DEVIL. I havn't really figured out why opinions vary so greatly but you did a good job in my book http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Cruise

LS7
    Greg,
    I feel you should never need to apoligies for anything you have done, your reputation as a boater, racer and business owner IS WHAT HAS MADE YOUR BUSINESS WHAT IS.
    Although I choose a different source for my jetting needs this does not and will not cause me to talk negatively or voice opinion regarding your opinions unless it is first hand knowledge. I can only speak based on my own experiences with businesses either giving advice to me, selling to me, or actually do the work for me.
    With that said, I remember watching you race back in the 70's race after race with the "underdog" what an Awesome boat.
    LS
    http://www.krispykreme.com/images/movingd.gif
    [This message has been edited by LS7 (edited August 16, 2001).]

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
    Greg;; I am SURE you don't remember me but I contacted you a few months ago about a 21' Edge that was for sale. I am the guy that called from South Carolina. Anyway, the boat was your personel boat but was already sold. BIG SURPRISE THERE! You then sent me some info on the boat and paid for the postage which I really didn't give a second thought. That is until I realized that you probably send stuff like this out everyday without bitchin about the cost.WOW talk about FN KOOL!! DEDICATION DUDE! How many others would have done that? NOT MANY!! Do you think people in the industry would send out free catalogs? Go look in ***boat and see for yourself. NOT MANY!!! When I was talking to the babe that answered the phone at GS MARINE she put me on hold. Now I am thinking she's getting some info for me or answering another call. I about dropped the damn phone in the lake when YOU came to the phone. I felt bad that this sweetheart bothered the BOSS with such a dunbass question about the Edge Stealth. I want to thank you for all the time you spent with me that day and will miss reading jet tech. HERES WHERE ALL THE LAME YUPPIES(IN HARLEY LAND WE CALL THEM R.U.B.S)START CALLING ME AN ASS KISSER. I CALL THESE GUYS INTERNET RAMBO'S. Thanks again for the time you took to help us jet boaters with our projects. Reading all these reply's reminds me of the old adage of the customer is always right. If you believe that than your destined to fail as a businessman cuz the customer AINT always right. Its always easier to blame someone else or the equipment than ones self for being a bonehead!!!! Anyway, goodluck and even though we don't formally know eachother, you have made more friends than you can possibly know. SEEYADUDE!!!!!!!!

I was kinda surprised when someone posted that Greg was leaving Hot Boat mag. I haven't bought an issue HB for a few years now,(97) but his column and Wilkes, were always a little reassuring to me just knowing they were there, someone still around from the days I was working in the boat biz (72-95) . I am not a big fan of change just for the sake of change and hope who ever fills the role Greg held, is up to snuff. I never had Greg work on any of my personal stuff, had a guy name Harold Bruce, who did pump work for Rogers when I was there do a pump once,(don't know if he is even still around), and Harry Christiansen did another one for me when I was at Advantage as the GM. This is where I got to know Shoemaker on a business level and he always did right by us and did quality work too. Can't ever recall having any kind of problem with his work. I was surprised by a few of the bad posts about him, but that goes with the job, any job. He is really one of the good guys, and has a wealth of information to pass along. A couple guys have made the comment that I should write a book about working in the boat business, I realize they were just joking 'cus this stuff I ramble on about is pretty petty stuff, but a guy like Greg SHOULD write a book. One about setting up pumps, his racing past and building quality boats in general. I'd buy a copy.

rivercrazy
    Greg also answered many of my questions about various hop-ups. He did this for free and without complaint.
    He also strongly advised me not to do a few performance enhancing hop-ups that would have cost a substantial amount of money. This is despite the fact he could have added this work to his revenues and bottom line.
    Good luck Greg. I hope you visit this board and continue to help us mentally insane boaters from time to time.

jroos
    I would too old rigger. He too saved me money. I was told by another marine/hotrod shop owner and former race competitor of Greg`s in this area to get a Droop Snoot for my 20` Southwind. Greg strongly advised not too. Now I`m glad I didn`t get one. Thanks for all the help on the phone Greg and good luck.
    PS If you can pull some strings at the Mag`s home office, PLEASE TELL THE TO GREATLY EXPAND THE READER`S RIDES SECTION!

wrightnow
    old rigger Harold Bruce is still around and racing along with his son. Harold Bruce Jr. just set a new NJBA record about a month ago.
    something around 141mph low 7 sec. range. in a Daytona jet.
    [This message has been edited by wrightnow (edited August 16, 2001).]

LS7
    and he is the new JetTech in Sept HotRag.
    LS
    http://www.krispykreme.com/images/movingd.gif

lakecrazy
    Hey Greg, Always looked forward to reading your jet tech section each month in Hot Boat. One of the few reasons I still subscribe to the magazine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast