Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mercury 525 efi, BAD!!!!

hallett 260
    So I bite the bullet and pay for a Merc. 525efi. I get the motor brand new only to find out, before the motor is even in the boat, there is water in cylinder #4. Ok, its under warranty, they should give me a new one, right? No!!! I now need to send it back to Mercury Racing for them to work on it. They are going to repair the bad motor and send it back to me. The process has already taken 2 weeks, now I have to send it back have them repair it and send it back. I am guessing another 3-4 weeks. So much for Mercury Racing!!!
    Now Merc. racing tells me water sitting in a cylinder for several months does not hurt anything and they will just put new heads on the motor and everything will be fine. Is this true? I know it can't be good.
    Zach

RiverDave
    How did water get in the cylinder?
    RD

Speedin' Ian
    Now Merc. racing tells me water sitting in a cylinder for several months does not hurt anything and they will just put new heads on the motor and everything will be fine. Is this true? I know it can't be good.
    That depends, if it sat for a long time, than it may have caused some serious rust which would eventually cause pitting in the cylinder. If that is the case then they will most likely bore .030 over and rebuild, keep in mind I have limited experience with building motors so hopefully someone will chime in and add their opinions. I know for the money you spent I would be disappointed with your experiences.

hallett 260
    They don't know how water got into the cylinder until they tear it apart. They told me a seat of some sort must have cracked and slowly let water in.?.? I can tell you the water has been in there for at least a month.

OutCole'd
    I don't blame you. I'd be pissed. If I paid for a brand new motor, I would expect a brand new motor, not something that had to shipped back and reworked.

cdog
    For the price of thoses engine they should ship you a new one as soon as they recieve yours and verify the warranty. Start going over heads. Call, Call Call. Everyday!

It's Only Money
    A thought comes to mind........
    If the motor was brand new, then wouldn't it have been in a crate? When the crate was opened the water was already in the cylinder? Doesn't Mercury Racing ship the motor in a waterproof bagged crate or sealed in some manner? I'm having trouble understanding how water could have gotten inside the cylinder if the crate was intake. It would seem to me that casual water can't enter an EFI motor very easily unless it came through the headers/exhaust. I would think this would be sealed at the factory for shipment. I would also expect that the closed cooling system on this motor would be empty upon arrival.
    OR...
    Did the motor come from a reseller or "extra" from a boat builder that MAY have been used?
    Someone on here must have received a new motor from Mercury or Mercury Racing and can confirm how they are packaged and shipped.

Beer-30
    Tell em to forget it.
    Have em put in a Mag or HO, spend $6K to RayLar it, be money ahead and run just as good.

cdog
    A thought comes to mind........
    If the motor was brand new, then wouldn't it have been in a crate? When the crate was opened the water was already in the cylinder? Doesn't Mercury Racing ship the motor in a waterproof bagged crate or sealed in some manner? I'm having trouble understanding how water could have gotten inside the cylinder if the crate was intake. It would seem to me that casual water can't enter an EFI motor very easily unless it came through the headers/exhaust. I would think this would be sealed at the factory for shipment. I would also expect that the closed cooling system on this motor would be empty upon arrival.
    OR...
    Did the motor come from a reseller or "extra" from a boat builder that MAY have been used?
    Someone on here must have received a new motor from Mercury or Mercury Racing and can confirm how they are packaged and shipped.
    I've seen them in the crate over at shockwave with antifreeze in the overflow so i'd assume they come with fluids. I am sure by the looks of them that they bench test and dyno run them to assure qualitly. He said water. Well if there was a cracked head he'd have antifreeze in the cylinder. Otherwise it could have been some reversion when testing with water jacked headers. Hard to tell but it's not right and if it came from merc that way i'd demand a new one.

Magic34
    Kick, scream, shout, do whatever it takes, but you should have a new motor. Your builder should be fighting for you as well. Have you taken delivery of the boat? If not, hold funding until you get a new motor, or if you do use the motor they fix and return to you, make them put a 5 year warranty on it at no charge. If they are so sure of the fix, then they will put a warranty to go with it.
    Actually, I'd keep that motor IF I could get that warranty at no charge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast