Thread: Hook/Place diverter

1000mhz
    Im about to flip my boat over and take some of that dreadfull hook out that everybodys been talking about. I started to think about the concepts and it comes to me........
    Hook is an angle down towrds the transom of the boat, naturally forcing the bow of the boat into the water thus making more drag.
    So wouldnt my place diverter correct this problem without having to do all the work of sanding and correcting on the hull itself??
    It just seems that the more hook you have, the more angle you could just use on the diverter/wedge/whatever.
    Please help me understand this better.
    I think im just making excusses so I dont make myself flip this boat over and get to work.
    I have plenty of time to do this, I just want to make sure its worth it.
    thanks.........
    "ADM sucks"

1000mhz, here's a little reading material on removing hook from your hull. It was written by one of the best bottom guys around. http://members.aol.com/hhano2/page4.html
    [This message has been edited by OLDSQUIRT (edited September 22, 2001).]

Havasu Hangin'
    I believe hook also creates a "sucking" action, pulling the hull toward the water. Kinda like when you put a glass in a sink full of water- the surface tension holds it down, as you pull up.
    Also, even is the hook was creating stern lift, as you pointed out, the "diverter/wedge/whatever" would be using thrust to counter-act the forces. The goal would be to get as much thrust moving the boat forward, as efficiently as possible.
    Sorry, probably not the answer you wanted to hear.
    http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy25.gif

froggystyle
    As far as my limited knowledge of hook goes, I think that the bigger problem you will encounter, is the boats likely result of overcoming the center of gravity achieved with the balance of hook vs. boat length/weight and cause a hideous porpoise. The hook tends to lift the stern, but counter by forcing the bow down due to leverage constraints. The droop/place diverter would help increase the sterns leverage, possibly to a point that the boat would want to come more and more out of the water, until the cg was reached and it came back down. This is the high speed porpoise.
    Let me know if it works though.