Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing Set?

Kindsvater Flat
    Morg I would have to use the full cover style not the cheater version. Plus the adapter for inj is another 160 bucks from Milodon.
    This is going to be for my blower deal and wasn't sure if one is better than the other in that application.
    I to have tried the Cloyes deal and it seemed to have quite a bit of stretch just after one season.
    I have 2 thick casted weiand covers already so I was thinking of going with the pete jackson deal. As far as noise goes I don't think it will be as loud as my straight cut hallcraft gears. Those things really sing.

Blown 472
    Morg I would have to use the full cover style not the cheater version. Plus the adapter for inj is another 160 bucks from Milodon.
    This is going to be for my blower deal and wasn't sure if one is better than the other in that application.
    I to have tried the Cloyes deal and it seemed to have quite a bit of stretch just after one season.
    I have 2 thick casted weiand covers already so I was thinking of going with the pete jackson deal. As far as noise goes I don't think it will be as loud as my straight cut hallcraft gears. Those things really sing.
    Then you can go to a hat.

Moneypitt
    Mike, the Milodon front cover type gear drive also has a 2 piece cam gear that allows you to advance/retard cam timing in 2 degree increments by just pulling the drive area cover, not the whole timing cover. It works really nice if you want to play with cam timing while testing the boat.......MP

steelcomp
    Gear drive transfers vibration to valve train.One of the more knowledgable engine guru's can explain better.May not be alot but,to me,not worth it taking the chance.Just my 2 cents There's some pretty serious harmonics going on with a chain as well, adn if you're turning high rpm's or using really high spring pressures, a gear drive will give you better reliability nand service, but don't go cheap. RCD is about the best you'll get for gear drive. Sexpensive, (their stuff is art work) but worth every penny. Shaver and Summer Bro's make some real nice small block drives, but I don't know if they make anything for the Big Block. The Milodon is another good one as well. I personally don't like floating idlers, but some seem to have luck with them. The Rollmaster seems to be the choice for chain set ups, with the Iwis chain, although I've heard nothing bad about the Rolon. External belt drives are another option that are popular. There's also the Cam Correct set up that actually trys to use the slack in the chain to it's advantage. I haven't heard much about this deal, but it seems pretty decent. :coffeycup

GofastRacer
    Since Cloyes sold out they are junk, if you go with a chain make sure it has an "Iwis" chain!. If you use a Jackson don't get the noisy one they are very irritating, you can't hear the regular one. I've got a Jackson in mine and it's the same one I been using since the mid 80's and it's still like new. The key is "clearance", run em loose and you'll beat the shit out of it, run it tight and it will turn black from heat. Says right in the instructions, if clearance not right call for appropriate idler gear!..

steelcomp
    Since Cloyes sold out they are junk, if you go with a chain make sure it has an "Iwis" chain!. If you use a Jackson don't get the noisy one they are very irritating, you can't hear the regular one. I've got a Jackson in mine and it's the same one I been using since the mid 80's and it's still like new. The key is "clearance", run em loose and you'll beat the shit out of it, run it tight and it will turn black from heat. Says right in the instructions, if clearance not right call for appropriate idler gear!..
    That's a big 10-4 on the clearance. I remember something about .002 on the RCDstuff...no more, no less. :coffeycup

Kindsvater Flat
    .... If you use a Jackson don't get the noisy one they are very irritating, you can't hear the regular one.
    Between the blower and the gear box I think I will need plugs anyways. I don't want to add anymore. :rollside:

wsuwrhr
    Or you could use a Jesel....
    Brian

GofastRacer
    Or you could use a Jesel....
    Brian
    Yeah it's only money!..

steelcomp
    I found that my blower crank hub needed to be clearanced (stepped) due to the smaller diameter of the gear drive "crank gear". When the hub bottomed on the crank gear there was interferance with the idler. Just an FYI, something to look for....
    Boy...wouldn't it suck not catching that one!!! Just goes to show, you gotta check EVERYTHING!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast