Thread: Cam in a jet boat?

placecrafttim
    Kinda new here and I is seeking some info.
    Looking at a used engine and was wondering if the cam that is in it is safe for water injected headers?
    540 dart 10.2 14.1 cr dart 355 cnc heads
    Intake timing.
    duration 324 deg.
    open 52 before tdc.
    close 92 after tdc.
    cam lift .440.
    valve lift .770.
    valve lash .028 hot
    exauhst timing.
    duration 332 deg.
    open 96 before bdc.
    close 56 after tdc.
    cam lift .441.
    valve lift .772.
    valve lash .028 hot.
    overlap 108 deg.
    lobe center 110 deg.
    1.7 rocker ratio.
    cam is an Ed Iskenderian part # RR-774.
    following is checked at .050.
    Int. duration 284 deg.
    open 32 btdc.
    close 72 abdc.
    Exh.
    duration 288 deg.
    open 74 bbdc.
    close 34 atdc.
    Motor was built for a drag car and I was wondering what the difference is between drag car and drag boat? I've heard lots about looser clearences in a boat motor than a car motor but are "they" talking about all bearings and valve guides? What are all the clearances that "they" are talking about.
    What does everyone mean when they say a boat motor must be built looser than a car motor?
    This motor might be a little to radical for what I'm looking for but for the price I cant even come close to it. I can take this motor and change the cr for an est. $2500 and still be way under what I would spend for something new. Or the same price as a "good" crate with the same power.
    I guess my biggest question is. Can I put this motor in my boat and go out there and run it?
    Thanks

MudPumper
    Run it, just make sure no water gets injected below 2500rpm. To be on the safe side, don't run water until 3000 rpm. You can do this electronically with a Banderlog valve or build one of your own, or you can do it with a manual valve.

placecrafttim
    I was thinkin the same thing but dont want to ruin a set of new pipes.

With a motor that size w/ those parts for $2500 ... get it.
    I don't know who "they" are but I build motors w/ the same tolerances regardless if they are going into a boat or car. So being "loose" ... I'm not sure of. Possible ring gap reference? This would mean more leak down? Why? I would disregard that statement (it needs to be looser).
    I agree w/ MudPumper, run it ... but no water until 2500+ rpm
    Just my two cents. But that motor will have some torque ... fun! :2purples:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Kinda new here and I is seeking some info.
    Looking at a used engine and was wondering if the cam that is in it is safe for water injected headers?
    540 dart 10.2 14.1 cr dart 355 cnc heads
    Intake timing.
    duration 324 deg.
    open 52 before tdc.
    close 92 after tdc.
    cam lift .440.
    valve lift .770.
    valve lash .028 hot
    exauhst timing.
    duration 332 deg.
    open 96 before bdc.
    close 56 after tdc.
    cam lift .441.
    valve lift .772.
    valve lash .028 hot.
    overlap 108 deg.
    lobe center 110 deg.
    1.7 rocker ratio.
    cam is an Ed Iskenderian part # RR-774.
    following is checked at .050.
    Int. duration 284 deg.
    open 32 btdc.
    close 72 abdc.
    Exh.
    duration 288 deg.
    open 74 bbdc.
    close 34 atdc.
    Motor was built for a drag car and I was wondering what the difference is between drag car and drag boat? I've heard lots about looser clearences in a boat motor than a car motor but are "they" talking about all bearings and valve guides? What are all the clearances that "they" are talking about.
    What does everyone mean when they say a boat motor must be built looser than a car motor?
    This motor might be a little to radical for what I'm looking for but for the price I cant even come close to it. I can take this motor and change the cr for an est. $2500 and still be way under what I would spend for something new. Or the same price as a "good" crate with the same power.
    I guess my biggest question is. Can I put this motor in my boat and go out there and run it?
    Thanks
    That is one mean ass motor. I dont personally think that water injection would be a good idea with that cam. Mine is a 258@.050,108 lobe,.615 lift and I cannot run water. YOu could try at 3000 r's but then whats the point. I would just ceramic coat the headers and run it dry, that way you dont worry about sucking in water plus it will sound bitchin with that set up.I am not a guru so that just my .02 pennies

placecrafttim
    With a motor that size w/ those parts for $2500 ... get it.:
    I'm sorry I meant that I could change the comp for an est. $2500 and still be under what it would cost to build/buy a new "crate or custom" engine for.
    And thanks for the info.