Thread: NEED ADVICE ON BODY WORK

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I AM SANDING MY BOAT AND IT HAS CRACKS AROUND THE BOW ON THE TOP NEAR THE EDGES. HOW DO I FILL THEM IN? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO ENSURE MY NEW PAINT FROM CRACKING? THE HULL IS FULLY SANDED BUT THE CRACKS SRE STILL THERE. THEY ARE NOT TOO BIG BUT THERE IS ALOT.WHAT PRODUCT CAN I USE TO FILL THEM IN WITH? ANY ADVISE WILL BE HIGHLY CONSIDERED. THANKS GUYS

greg shoemaker
    If the cracks are in the gelcoat they can be ground down and filled with fiberglass. The real problem is what caused the cracks in the first place. If it's a structral problem these areas have to repaired first the the exterior can be repaired. Greg

SPECTRABRENT
    Greg,
    Who do you use for gel coat work?
    I saw a White & Blue Spectra 20 jet that your shop restored. I was impressed with the gelcoat work.
    THanks,
    Brent
    [This message has been edited by SPECTRABRENT (edited March 15, 2002).]

greg shoemaker
    During the off season we do extensive gel resto,s. During the busy season we only do repairs. Gel coating complete boats is very time comsuming process. We just finished a 1974 Kona daycrusier that really came out looking like a 2002. Complete gel, interior, stringers, floorboards, gauges, 502 chevy, blueprinted pump, place diverter, boat cover, bimini top, complete redo on the trailer, You name it we did it to this one and believe or not he had less money in the resto as compaired to going out and buying a new boat with all the goodies. Greg

Dans66Stevens
    Tell me how you re gel coat? Is the stuff sprayed on with a special gun? Im just curious.

disco_charger
    And if you don't mind me asking, ball park of course, what does it cost to redo the gel coat on a 19 ft boat? Is it just easier to paint? And what's a good price on paint? I'm guessing I'd do about six colors no fades. I always wanted to sell my white and metal flake green boat, but after the boat show (and my lack of a spare $40,000) I think maybe I'll keep the old girl. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

spectra75
    Welcome back Greg, it seems like a long time since your last post.
    Thanks for not giving up on us.
    spectra75