Thread: Chevy -vs- Olds

Bluefin
    What is the long standing opinion of Jetboat motors. Chevy or Olds. I hope to soon purchase a 18' Advantage Jet and build an 80 mph ride. A buddy of mine swears by his Olds 455, which he has had for 14+ years and just rebuilt to the hilt.$$$$$ http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif I know it takes torque to run a jet and the Olds with it's long stroke develops high numbers. What about the Chevy? With the availability of performance parts O plenty, can't I build a Bowtie to 600 hp & ft/lbs for less money and still be reliable? What rpms will a big block see to achieve 80 mph?
    There is a little animosity between my friend's Olds and any other motor. Especially toward my Ford FE. By the way my Hondo V-drive runs 78.5 (GPS) with 416 ci. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

rivercrazy
    Stay with the Chevy or Ford. It will be cheaper and more reliable. The Olds have weak bottom ends and oil distribution issues. The rpm will depend on peak torque and HP and matching an impeller to allow the motor to reach that peak. Rpm's will definately be over 5,000.

More people spend lots of money trying to get rid of their Oldsmobiles because of lower end problems. Spun bearings are the biggest problem for several reasons, be it an oiling system that doesn't oil or detonation that pounds the rod bearing out of the rods, whatever...bottom line is they have problems that get expensive and make you suffer the embarrassment of being towed back to the ramp. [maybe even by a jetski] Stick with Chevy or Ford.

dpage
    Originally posted by Bluefin:
    What is the long standing opinion of Jetboat motors. Chevy or Olds. I hope to soon purchase a 18' Advantage Jet and build an 80 mph ride. A buddy of mine swears by his Olds 455, which he has had for 14+ years and just rebuilt to the hilt.$$$$$ I know it takes torque to run a jet and the Olds with it's long stroke develops high numbers. What about the Chevy? With the availability of performance parts O plenty, can't I build a Bowtie to 600 hp & ft/lbs for less money and still be reliable? What rpms will a big block see to achieve 80 mph?
    There is a little animosity between my friend's Olds and any other motor. Especially toward my Ford FE. By the way my Hondo V-drive runs 78.5 (GPS) with 416 ci.

dpage
    Originally posted by Bluefin:
    What is the long standing opinion of Jetboat motors. Chevy or Olds. I hope to soon purchase a 18' Advantage Jet and build an 80 mph ride. A buddy of mine swears by his Olds 455, which he has had for 14+ years and just rebuilt to the hilt.$$$$$ I know it takes torque to run a jet and the Olds with it's long stroke develops high numbers. What about the Chevy? With the availability of performance parts O plenty, can't I build a Bowtie to 600 hp & ft/lbs for less money and still be reliable? What rpms will a big block see to achieve 80 mph?
    There is a little animosity between my friend's Olds and any other motor. Especially toward my Ford FE. By the way my Hondo V-drive runs 78.5 (GPS) with 416 ci.