Thread: Need Help with Shoe Depth Please

DeputyDawg
    Well, while the motor is out of the boat and I am waiting new pistons for a compression increase and new valve train from Dave@DNE, I am trying to finish everything else on the boat and I have reached a point where I am kind of lost. The boat came with two different shoes(one backcut and one not) and a whole bunch of shims, the problem is that I do not know where to even begin as far as shoe type and depth right off the trailer. The boat is a Kevlar lay-up 21ft Daytona with setback pump, B impeller and inducer, Berk Droop, Place Diverter and ride plate. The engine is a pump gas 522ci BBC 11.25:1 comp, 335 CNC AFR aluminum heads, Top Secret DNE Grind roller cam, Dart tunnel ram and will now be sporting two 950 Holley DPs. The boat currently has an open Pro Loader in it but I also have a stainless 3" V-blocker Loader and a stainless 5" V-blocker Loader. I really need a good starting point guys as well as what to look/feel for so that I know which way to go after it is running.

PC Rat
    What's been done to the bottom of the boat?
    How many degrees is your backcut shoe?
    Brian

MAXIMUS
    Start with the back cut shoe & set the leading edge even with the keel. You could even drop it a touch but that would be a good starting point. Set your ride plate 2.5 degrees up from the keel. You will need an electronic angle finder to achieve these adjustments. Also you need to know what the back cut angle is in reference to your keel. The keel is the point which everything starts from. As far as loaders just use the open style for now as I have found that you need to get everything else dialed first before you get the real benefits from blockers etc... Also wouldn't hurt to get the the boat running & check your max rpms etc. Before you spend to much time setting up hardware you should make sure you are happy with the impeller combo vs. engine output etc... Those big boats like a taller impeller & drive much better with. I prefer running a taller impeller & then choking off some water to find its happy zone... Good luck!

Start with the back cut shoe & set the leading edge even with the keel. You could even drop it a touch but that would be a good starting point. Set your ride plate 2.5 degrees up from the keel. You will need an electronic angle finder to achieve these adjustments. Also you need to know what the back cut angle is in reference to your keel. The keel is the point which everything starts from. As far as loaders just use the open style for now as I have found that you need to get everything else dialed first before you get the real benefits from blockers etc... Also wouldn't hurt to get the the boat running & check your max rpms etc. Before you spend to much time setting up hardware you should make sure you are happy with the impeller combo vs. engine output etc... Those big boats like a taller impeller & drive much better with. I prefer running a taller impeller & then choking off some water to find its happy zone... Good luck!
    Now thats some good advice right there.

DeputyDawg
    Thanks guys. I will probably play with it some later on, but I just got off the phone with Duane at Hi-Tech Performance and I have decided to take the boat to him for a good once over and check out before I put it on the water, and he is also going to help set the boat up for me.

MAXIMUS
    Better yet!