Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K&N or Flame arrestor?

custom-cruiser
    Currently I am running Flame arrestors but think i'm going to switch to K&N's inside a dual quad Dooley...Any thoughts???

kceballes
    I have used both and there is no difference in performance. I couldn't tell, it cost more money and it also falls short in guidelines for boating safety. I know I sound like a boy scout but, it just takes once and some body could get hurt, my sister got hurt last season by her boy friend, using a foam filter. I know that the Coast Guard and Sheriff's Dept will use that as PC to come on Board also.
    Just a Thought!

spectras only
    there's a coastguard approved version K @ N.Waste of money ,unless you go for the looks.K @ N only claims better results against automotive paper filter applications! I've put a K @ N in my car to save service intervals,there's no gain in power or ET's.I've got the G-Tech meter to prove it.

LVjetboy
    I put KN in the vette but thinking about going back to paper. It's a hassle cleaning and expensive to buy oil and cleaner. But the main thing is I don't trust KN filtering as much as the stock paper. So if you're considering them on your truck, something to think about. Of course KN claims just as effective filtering, but if you hold them up to light and look at the hole size vs paper...there's a difference. Also, with each cleaning it's possible to disturb the filter layer and open larger holes...or not get an even oil coating. I didn't notice much if any performance gain either.
    For the boat, dust filtering isn't as critical, so I don't worry about that. And with velocity stacks and an open engine compartment, I'm hoping the law won't hassle me... ya I know, good luck to me.
    jer

superdave013
    I would stick with the Flame arrestors if you already have them.

gstark
    If you want to be legal in the eyes of the USCG as well as your insurance company (in the event of a fire-related claim) an arrester that is USCG-approved is the only way to go. Anything else is less than prudent.

AntRant
    A reliable friend told me he gained 3 MPH (GPS) on his Baja w/460's. The switch from the flame arresters to the K&N was done on the same day so its accurate.K&N marine air filters/flame arrestors are U.S.C.G. approved so theres no problem there. As far as them not being able to clean the air as well as paper, http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#10 I plan on geting one for my 460.

spectras only
    Ant ,there's no dust on the water where I'm boating J/K. If you trailer your boat with the carb exposed to road dirt/dust, get the K @ N .The coast guard approved arrestors [minimum 2" tall]have no restriction problems.The only ones I would replace is the early mercruiser and OMC units[stacked plate types].I doubt your friend gained 3 MPH with the K @ N http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif.Make him run with and against the current/flow of the river and make the assumption after.Change in currents or wind would greatly effect speed runs.Sorry for being sceptical on this one ,but 3MPH is a huge improvement in boatworld!
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited December 18, 2001).]

BowTie Rick
    K&N carries a full line of USCG approved flame arrestors for both carbed and F/I motors. They rate the same as paper regarding filtration ability. Metal mesh only stops beach towels and birds. Size it right and you can gain 3 - 4 mph. Of course this varies depending how good or bad the currect flame arrestor flow is. What do you think a 7" x 1 1/2" assembly does to a 454 at 6000 RPM. It kills performance. Switch to a K&N 9" x 5" and you will see gains.

Boater Bill
    I run the K&N velocity stack/filter combo seen in Summit, Jegs, etc and like it. Engine is not enclosed so I don't worry about it being the approved type and haven't had any probs at the lake or at the River with enforcement. Also run them in my truck and old lady's car. Picked up noticeable accel and 1.5 MPG in my 99 Silverado so I'm sold on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast