Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: no oil pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

460 jus getn it
    just got back from the lake. i noticed after a hour that my oil pressure was reading 10 pounds? i have never had a problem yet. when its on at idle the pressure drops but when its idled up i goes to 45 pounds, hmmmmmm. when u shut the engine down the oil pressure goes up to 65 pounds. what besides a oil pump going out can make this happen. i changed the sender and it did the same thing.

4 letters... H E A T . That's the reason you hear so much about oil coolers & oil temperature on the boards. Running tolerances a little looser doesn't help, either. I use a synthetic blend 10-40 oil which helps keep viscosity up after extended running. When it's at it's hottest, I'll drop to 10-15psi at idle, and 40-45 at speed. I would like it higher, and probably could with an oil cooler, but as is, it's not a problem.

460 jus getn it
    but before today i was always at 40 at idle and 60psi at wot. can not enough oil make this happen also. im going to pull the pan i have a oil leak that came back so it has to come out anyways. i just need to figure this out before next sunday.

mickeyfinn
    Not enough oil can make the problem worse. If you are running less oil in the pan then the oil must reciruclate more often. The detention time in the pan is decreased so it has less time cool in the pan. Put the right amount of oil in there and you may get back to where you were. Cheap oil can do it also.

460 jus getn it
    i have been using valvoilne 30wt but i have been putting 40wt as of late. hmmmmmmm maybe thats it to thick. is that a possibility that the oil is too thick and not being able to circulate.....

flat broke
    Not enough oil, as well as too much oil can cause these symtoms at the gauge. If you have too much oil in there, it can get airated by the crank and cause cavitation in the oil pump which can cause oil pressure issues as well.
    Check your levels, hook up a mechanical gauge to the block and re-verify your readings. Chaning the sender won't diagnose a bad gauge Start with the simple/easy/cheap stuff first and work your way up.
    Chris

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    its cause its a damn FORD!!!! Buy a chevy Just kiddin' t-bone We will find out why this weekend. Dont worry bro, I am thinking not enough oil or faulty guage. Try that mechanical guage when you get home. Just get a few fittings for it. Call me when you do. If its still bad then I will help you change the oil pump dawg I gotcha covered And DAMMIT, quit stressing. Its not that bad. Remember I blew up a brand new motor. Thats a good reason to stress and be mad!

It can also be from too MUCH oil. The crank aerates the oil as it rotates. Check a few things before you throw parts at it. Your wallet will thank you.

cave
    460 is it the right pressure sending unit? I replaced mine and didn't get the right pressure unit. Mine reads 80 lb and I put a 100 lb unit in. Big time drop. put the old one back in and all was good.

Squirtin Thunder
    i have been using valvoilne 30wt but i have been putting 40wt as of late. hmmmmmmm maybe thats it to thick. is that a possibility that the oil is too thick and not being able to circulate.....
    Now many people wil disagree with me on this but in any HP engine I use Valvoline Racing or VR1 20w-50. After a super hard and long run (say Avi to Lazy Harries up river) I may drop to about 55psi from the normal 70psi.
    Tyro- What Valvoline are you running ???

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast