Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collector Length?

on drag cars we put some paint on collector and make a pass then cut at the point where the burned paint stopped. That was the proper length for that setup.
    Some use a heat sensitive marker similar to a crayon and cut where the mark lines change color.

Some use a heat sensitive marker similar to a crayon and cut where the mark lines change color.
    Had a friend that did the same thing with 1 inch masking tape. Where it stopped buring off (or melting really) that's where he cut the collector.

superdave013
    Before doing any cutting if I were you, I'd do some research on Header design ... How the lengths and sizes of the primary tubes (which your not proposing to cut) and collectors effect motor performance. On a NA Motor cutting the collectors back will change the back pressure on your valves and therefore the amount of scavaging which occurs between cylinders ... May not really be that much of an issue in your case, but, I'd check it out just as a matter of principal before cutting them any length.
    Note that NA Header Design is a subject unto itself and can be rather involved in terms of matching headers to a particular motor and its cam profile, combustion chamber size, etc., but, a cursory look at the principals involved may save you some heart ache in the end ... At least you'll know potentially what your getting yourself into.
    Just a thought.
    That is true but funny in a way. You have to ask how much thought Bassett puts into them also. I mean, if collector lenght is that big of a deal (and I'm not sayin it's not) they why is one collector longer then the other on a stock set of Bassett's?
    I'll tell you why, so the ends are even when on the boat. I'd say they are more worried about the looks then the performance.
    Just my 0.02

Squirtin Thunder
    HB Jet:
    If your running so much water through your headers that you are going to be concerned about filling up the boat... you are running too much water!
    JakeW:
    Corlish when I ordered my Bassett short strights I told Paul I wanted them really short like the tape 1 in you pic and he said it would put alot of water in the back of the boat also and talked me into getting them the standers length and the ends match for a nicer aperance.They are still prety short and do not go all the way out the back my motor is set about 23 24 inches from the transom to the back motor plate.I would cut them rite after the tag they will still look better than bells but not dump unwanted water in the back of the boat.
    Squirtcha?:
    That's what I was thinking (but with smaller, easier to understand/spell words) very eloquent Jak. I cut off my last set of Bassetts (just beyond the tag). Although I didn't seem to suffer any ill affects from a running/performance standpoint (it may be more noticeable to someone with more horsepower though), it does have a tendency of messing up the back end of the boat. It's not even so much the oil/smoke as it is all the mineral deposits etc. Pain in the arse to clean every time.
    SuperDave:
    That is true but funny in a way. You have to ask how much thought Bassett puts into them also. I mean, if collector lenght is that big of a deal (and I'm not sayin it's not) they why is one collector longer then the other on a stock set of Bassett's? I'll tell you why, so the ends are even when on the boat. I'd say they are more worried about the looks then the performance.
    Just my 0.02
    Squirtin Thunder:
    Being that the engine is so far forward I would cut them about an inch past the end of the Bassett tag, to the rear of it !!! So if you run water it doesn't fill up the boat !!!
    Jim
    So, with all this said, we have water in boat, we have looks, we have sound.
    Now - from my recent experience with my 1977 short cutt-off Bassetts, that barely clear the transom, I have a very slight amount of water in the boat from them. But the boat got quieter vs. the Rewarders with a bell. I believe that your headers will look super cool if they are cut in such a way that they just reach over the transom. And believe it or not they will be considerably quieter. So take all the info and make your best choice, but remember looks are everything.
    Jim

corlish
    THANKS for all of the advice guys!
    I was kind of leaning toward a cut right at the foward edge of the tag.
    ST - maybe the picture is deceiving but the engine is acutally back pretty far -- at just over 19" from the inside of the transom to the motor plate.
    While recognizing the critical importance of good header design -- I tend to side with Superdave on this one. Cookie Cutter, off the shelf products don't really fit the criteria. Don't take that wrong -- I am not knocking Basset or Rewarder, just stating that they are NOT custom designed for a paticular engine combination (I know that both Paul and Jim will build custom pipes, but that is not what I have).
    Thanks again
    Corey

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    [QUOTE=Taylorman]
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...61DCP_2744.JPG
    After
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...P_3939-med.jpg
    QUOTE]
    Taylorman, your boat looks bitchin That is one clean ass "classic" jet

Floored
    then why not be creative and do a slash cut like on harley mufflers for a different look. :idea: Y B normal???

Vern S
    If you are concerned at all about the potential effects on performance, as bear stated you may want to look here.
    http://www.headerdesign.com/extras/engine.asp

Performance 19
    THANKS for all of the advice guys!
    I was kind of leaning toward a cut right at the foward edge of the tag.
    ST - maybe the picture is deceiving but the engine is acutally back pretty far -- at just over 19" from the inside of the transom to the motor plate.
    While recognizing the critical importance of good header design -- I tend to side with Superdave on this one. Cookie Cutter, off the shelf products don't really fit the criteria. Don't take that wrong -- I am not knocking Basset or Rewarder, just stating that they are NOT custom designed for a paticular engine combination (I know that both Paul and Jim will build custom pipes, but that is not what I have).
    Thanks again
    Corey
    Stock Bassett's are not custom designed, correct. HOWEVER, Paul does do custom designs, and has been doing so for years. He does customization on his water jacketed. There is a lot that can be done with headers matching your set up...problem being, people don't want to pay for a custom set of headers.
    in a previous post, it was said Bassett is more concerned about looks. That is what the person buying stock headers prefers. Keep the water out of the boat and they look good. If you are looking for performance. Basset will do it. Of course a higher price tag comes with that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12